Spuma di mortadella
Mortadella mousse Traditional recipe of Bologna
Mortadella mousse is a very tasty starter that is prepared by mixing Italian mortadella with ricotta, grated Parmesan and heavy cream. It's ideal for completing a plate of assorted cold or hot appetizer, a traditional Italian antipasto platter. Combine mortadella mousse with croutons (crostini), gnocco fritto or tigelle. We use to spread mortadella mousse on slices of loaf to make tasty canapés.
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) Italian Mortadella in a piece
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 1/3 tablespoon grated Parmesan (about 15g - 1/2 ounce)
- 40g (1.4 ounce) heavy cream
preparation: 20 minutes
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 107 (kcal) 6 % GDA (*)- 450 (kJ)
Protein: 4.9 (g) 7 % GDA
Total fat: 9.5 (g) 14 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (115 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Mortadella mousse recipe
- - Chop mortadella finely.
- - Add mortadella to other ingredients.
- - Whisk everything to get a smooth and creamy mixture.
Just before serving
- - For a nice-to-see plate, place your mortadella mousse directly into a bowl or on individual plates helping yourself with a cake decorating syringe as you can see in the photo.
- - Mortadella mousse is a typical recipe of Bologna and Emilia-Romagna.
- - Generally, my husband Carlo and I use much more heavy cream than the official recipe, but otherwise the mixture would be too hard. So I recommend you to start with less heavy cream than our recommended dose and add more heavy cream according to your own taste. This may depend on the consistency of ricotta cheese.
- - You can prepare mortadella mousse in advance but you have to chill it until serving.
Bring it back to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- - If you have any mortadella mousse left don't worry. You can keep it in the fridge for about 2 days without altering its flavor. I have experienced personally
- - Serve your mortadella mousse with hot croutons, even buttered if liked, or accompany assorted Italian crostini with it.
- - You can also accompany your mortadella mousse with tigelle.
- - We tasted this typical recipe of Bologna in a restaurant and in that occasion the chef served mortadella mousse accompanied with gnocco fritto.
- - In any case mortadella mousse must be served in little amount.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You may be interested in tigelle and gnocco fritto recipe and canapes with mortadella mousse too.
- - I suggest you to consult our directory on Italian crostini too.
- - Undoubtedly the ingredients for mortadella mousse are quite high in fat but as usual it is the quantity that dictates the final rules. If you serve mortadella mousse in a limited amount its calories are not excessive.
On the other hand mortadella mousse should not be prepared for your daily menu. It's a recipe for special occasions: don't worry too much in this case.
What's the right wine for " Mortadella mousse "?
What's the right wine for mortadella mousse? match the wine you've chosen for your assorted antipasto platter. But if you want to pair a local wine producted in the same Italian region of this recipe, we suggest Pignoletto DOC Colli Bolognesi (red wine of Emilia). However, if you like white wines, Erbaluce Caluso (wine of Piedmont) may be a good choice but accompany your mortadella mousse with stuffed-and-baked vegetables too. For example zucchini in summer.
Are you interested in other recipes and wines from Emilia-Romagna? want to know our tips on where to eat in Bologna and other cities in this region? follow the link :))
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1