Piadina rucola e mozzarella
Piadina with arugula and mozzarella cheese Authentic Italian recipe
Piadina with arugula and mozzarella cheese is one of the many ways of eating piadina in Italy. It can be a vegetarian one-plate meal. If cut into slices, it's a tasty appetizers paired with a glass of prosecco or Sangiovese wine waiting for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients / Serves 10
- 13 "piadina romagnola"
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) rocket (arugula), finely chopped
- 375g (13 1/4 ounces) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 10 minutes
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 484 (kcal) 25 % GDA (*)- 2024 (kJ)
Protein: 14.2 (g) 29 % GDA
Total fat: 24.1 (g) 35 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 52.8 (g) 20 % GDA
Sugars: 4.4 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (163 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Mozzarella-and-arugula piadina recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Arrange your piadinas in ovenproof dishes, greased slightly.
- - Scatter mozzarella cheese over their surface.
- - Bake until cheese melts.
- - Take away piadinas from the oven.
- - Scatter arugula too and drizzle with oil.
- - Bake again for a minute.
Just before serving
- - Halve every piadina.
- - Cut into 3 to 4 slices or smaller slices.
- - Arrange on the serving plate and serve.
- - Serve mozzarella-and-arugula piadinas hot with a cocktail or a glass of wine.
It's ideal for a snack after the theatre or the cinema.
- - You can also serve these piadinas as starters before an important meal, Italy-style.
In this case the doses are enough for more people.
Every Italian piadina is enough for 3-4 people.
- - A whole piadina is perfect as lunch or dinner accompanied by seasonal vegetables.
Useful links for this recipe
- - More details on piadina?
- - You could be interested in comparison between piadina and other unleavened flatbreads in the world.
- - I calculated calories and nutrition facts of these arugula-and-mozzarella piadinas, but served as suggested they are a tasty appetizers for special occasions. So their nutrition facts are only a curiosity: to know how many calories we introduce when we allow ourselves to eat more. Very different is the question of piadina eaten frequently for lunch, for example, when you are forced to eat outside your home. In Italy it happens more often than we wish. Read the question on the next point.
- - I calculated calories, proteins, total fat and sugars in a piadina with mozzarella and prosciutto. One of the many versions of piadinas that you can choose in snack bars. At first you have to know an industrial piadina has an average weight of 120g (4 1/4 ounces) that by itself has 413 calories, filling excluded. Then you have to add the filling. I calculated 40g (1 1/2 ounce) of prosciutto (ham) and 30g (1 ounce) of mozzarella cheese. The result is the following:
calories: 673 or 2815 kJ (34% RDA)
protein: 21.5g (43% RDA)
total fat: 37.1g (53% RDA)
carbohydrates: 63.3g (23% RDA)
sugars: 3.8g (4% RDA)
fiber: 2.4g (amount per day per head 23g)
Think carefully of the data above. Total fat are enough high and so you have to pay attention to your dinner composition. The irony of the matter is that people used to eat piadinas at lunch is sure to eat light!
What's the right cocktail?
My husband and I suggest to pair rocket-and-mozzarella piadina with a classic cocktail: " Negroni". If you prefer wine, our tip is Sangiovese (wine from Emilia Romagna) or the wine you've chosen for your full menu.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1