Torta di verdure miste
Assorted vegetable pie Authentic Italian recipe
Preparation time of this assorted vegetable pie can be very different according to the kind of ingredients. If you use fresh vegetables (you can choose among peas, carrots, potatoes, string beans, zucchini, sweet peppers in summer and broccoli, cauliflowers, brussels sprouts ... in winter) but with the same cooking time), you have to consider cleaning, washing and cooking time. Another choice is using frozen vegetables to reduce preparation time.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 450g (1 pound) fresh vegetables
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 230g (8 ounces) ready-to-bake puff pastry
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) scamorza cheese, cubed
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces - 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) light cream
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 446 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1865 (kJ)
Protein: 14.1 (g) 19 % GDA
Total fat: 33.5 (g) 48 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 22.0 (g) 9 % GDA
Sugars: 4.1 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (114 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for assorted vegetable pie
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare filling.
Clean, wash and cut vegetables into little pieces.
Put them in a saucepan with olive oil and marjoram.
Fry slightly on very low heat, stirring now and then, until onion begins changing its color.
Add a ladle of hot water.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like) and continue cooking, half-covered, over a gentle heat until tender.
Add other hot water only if necessary. Remember to stir now and then.
Once turned off the stove, add the other aromatic herbs and stir.
Let all cool and then add beaten eggs, Parmesan and light cream.
- - Preheat oven to 200 °C (400°F).
- - Cook in the oven.
Line up a deep oven dish with puff pastry after oiling it.
Prick its bottom with a fork and spoon in vegetable mixture.
Cook, about 20 minutes.
Remove your dish from the oven.
Sprinkle with scamorza (or other kneaded paste cheese) and bake for other 5 to 10 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your vegetable pie rest for some minutes and serve.
- - You can prepare this savory pie filled with mixed vegetables in advance and then heat it up at the last minute. Another choice is to start cooking and complete your recipe with the cheese just before serving.
- - Serve this salt pie with vegetables in your happy hour menu, cut into chunks. We Italians call happy hour aperitivo time :))
- - Slice your savory pie and accompany assorted salami or fish carpaccio (salmon, tuna, swordfish).
- - It's perfect for a meal, buffet style.
- - I sometimes make it as dinner for my family and serve it with a green seasonal salad.
Useful links for this recipe
- - If you want and have time, you can prepare the shell for this savory pie at home. In addition to puff pastry, you can choose between pizza dough or salty shortcrust pastry.
- - If you want to realize a low fat recipe you can use skimmed milk instead of light cream and pizza dough instead of puff pastry. In spite of these changes, your pie will be tasty ;)
Rating: 1 / vote cast: 1