Double pizza filled with potatoes and tomatoes Traditional recipe of Sicily
This Sicilian savory pastry is a kind of double pizza stuffed with potatoes and tomatoes. It's a vegetarian (vegan) recipe and is a great main dish to be accompanied, possibly, with a green seasonal salad and fresh fruit. The best season to make it is summer but you could use the last tomatoes of early autumn too.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 400g (14 ounces) ready-to-cook bread or pizza dough
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) potatoes
- 400g (14 ounces) firm and ripe tomatoes
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) onion
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 h 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 560 (kcal) 28 % GDA (*)- 2343 (kJ)
Protein: 11.7 (g) 24 % GDA
Total fat: 22.3 (g) 32 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 80.2 (g) 30 % GDA
Sugars: 6.3 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (151 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for double pizza stuffed with tomatoes and potatoes
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare all vegetables.
Wash tomatoes, boil them in abundant water, about 2 minutes.
Drain tomatoes well, peel and remove their seeds and eventually extra internal liquid.
Chop them roughly.
Peel onion, wash and chop it finely.
Peel and wash potatoes, pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper and cube them.
- - Cook tart stuffing.
Heat 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan together with onion without allowing it to color.
Add potatoes and flavor them, stirring with a wooden spoon now and then, some minutes.
Add tomatoes too, stir to flavor, and then pour in a glass of warm water.
Season with salt and pepper (if you like) to taste.
Simmer, half-covered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
If necessary, add other warm water.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Just before baking your tart.
Oil a round ovenproof dish with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Line its bottom and sides with 2/3 of bread dough, after rolled it out on a floured surface with the help of rolling pin.
Prick it with a fork and arrange potato-and tomato mixture.
Roll out remaining bread dough and close up your pizza, sealing it at the edges and pricking the top over.
Oil pizza surface with remaining olive oil.
- - Bake until pizza surface is coloured, about 40 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Serve your doble pizza warm.
- - Substitute onion with 2 little young onions and 1 tablespoon dried chives for a more delicate taste.
- - My husband and I prefer powdered red chilly instead of ground pepper. It's healthier.
- - When I have not much time, I use tinned chopped tomatoes.
- - Healthy eating. I do not always fry slightly onions. Generally, I simmer onion in little water and then add potatoes and tomatoes. After pouring in a glass of water, I continue cooking, half-covered, on low heat for the necessary time. Once turned off the stove, I add olive oil.
- - I often add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon dried thyme too.
- - Prepare this double pizza with tomatoes and potatoes in summer for your family menu accompanied by a green seasonal salad.
- - I usually prepare it for my summer meals, buffet style. Cut into more portions it can accompany assorted salami or fish carpaccio.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Consult our pizza directory to find homemade pizza dough How-To.
- - A portion of this pie with tomatoes and potatoes is high-calorie, as you can see. On the other hand it was easily imaginable, considered its ingredients. So plan it for your family menu with caution, not frequently. The association between potatoes and cereals often has these effects ;))
What's the right wine for " Double pizza filled with potatoes and tomatoes "?
My husband and I prefer to match Rosato di Valle Vermiglia (wine from Lazio - Italy) or another rosé wine to this potato and tomato duble pizza.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1