Pollo, salsiccia, gamberi e funghi in umido
Sausage, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms stew Our original home cooking
The beauty of attending social networks is to have the opportunity to travel around the world while you are sitting comfortably in front of your computer. This is how I read the recipe for Gumbo (New Orleans dish) given by foodblogger Paul Binns. I was immediately interested in its ingredients: chicken, sausage and shrimp. Even cooking method is intriguing but I think a bit too rich in butter and flour. And so as a good Italian, I got the inspiration from its main ingredients but then I worhed them according to the tradition of our cuisine. I added mushroomstoo to create a single-course dish. Fabulous! Try it!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) chicken breast, in slices
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) turkey or chicken sausage
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) frozen assorted mushrooms
- 130g (4 1/2 ounces) shelled shrimps
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 200g (7 ounces) canned peeled tomatoes with their juice
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Some sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Some sprigs fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 hour 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 371 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1554 (kJ)
Protein: 35.1 (g) 71 % GDA
Total fat: 22.8 (g) 33 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 5.8 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.3 (g) 6 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (78 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for chicken, sausage, shrimp, mushroom stew
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare ingredients.
Slice leek very finely.
Cut chicken breast into pieces that you can put in your mouth whole.
Crush peeled tomatoes with a fork in their juice on a plate.
Bring to a boil 600ml (1 1/4 pint - 2 1/2 cups) water.
- - Begin cooking.
Let leek and bay leaf fry slightly in olive oil, on very low heat, stirring frequently.
Add chicken pieces, increase heat and let all flavor, stirring frequently, a couple of minutes.
At this point add sausage pieces too and continue cooking, stirring now and then, a couple of minutes.
Pour in peeled tomatoes with their cooking juice, hot water and frozen mushrooms.
Season to taste with salt, continue cooking, on medium heat, half-covered.
Stir now and then.
- - Meanwhile ...
... clean parsley and chives.
Wash and pat dry with absorbent litchen paper.
Just before serving
- - Add shrimps a couple of minutes before turning off yor stove and cut in parsley and chives.
- - About the gravy: adjust according to your taste and how you want to serve this dish.
- - Serve this dish warm or hot.
- - You can use fresh or frozen shrimps. I used 16 shrimps.
- - I never use bouillon cube because I prefer natural cooking. This is the reason why I add only hot water to my dish. On the other hand, there are a lot of aromatics that give a tasty flavor to it.
- - You can prepare this dish ahead, even the day before without shrimps. Add them only just before serving when you heat it up.
- - If you love garlic, add it to leek. You can add red hot chilli pepper too.
- - Accompany chicken, shrimp, sausage, mushroom stew with grilled polenta. It is perfect for a rustic menu.
For a full menu, Italian style: prepare a lot of assorted finger foods and serve them matched to a good cocktail. Then serve this dish accompanied by polenta. Finally a dessert.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Follow the link to Paul Binns' blog, if interested.
- - Of course, this dish made with mixed meats, mushrooms and shrimps can not be chosen too frequently in your daily menu. Too nutritious because too rich in ingredients.
On the contrary it is a good idea when you have guests and want to serve something new.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.7 grams
What's the right wine for " Sausage, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms stew "?
My husband and I matched Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (white wine from Marches - Italy) to this dish with meat, shrimps and mushrooms.
Rating: 3 / vote cast: 2