Cinghiale in umido
Stewed wild boar Authentic Italian recipes
Wild boar meat is very tasty on its own and I am convinced that in order to appreciate its taste very well you should not enrich the recipe of too many ingredients. So my recipe for wild boar is very simple, just as I learned from my mother. She always said she wasn't a good cook but I think she left me a wealth of knowledge that even now, despite my own experience, I continue to apply.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 700g (1 1/2 pound) wild boar
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 200g (7 ounces) onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 - 3 juniper berries
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 800ml (1 2/3 pint - 3 1/3 cups) red wine
preparation: 20 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: 2-3 hours
totale: 2 - 3 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 281 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1174 (kJ)
Protein: 27.9 (g) 56 % GDA
Total fat: 14.2 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 8.8 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 8.7 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (137 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Stew wild boar recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - The day before.
Make a marinade with red wine and juniper berries.
Trim your meat of nerves, gristle and fat.
Cut into medium-sized chunks and marinade overnight.
- - The day after.
Remove wild boar from the marinade.
Wash and chop finely carrots, celery and onions.
Add them in a fireproof casserole with olive oil, bay leaf and thyme.
Stir-fry on very low heat for some minutes.
Then add wild boar too.
Brown all over.
Pour in the remaining red wine and evaporate part of it over a fierce heat.
Then reduce heat, season to taste with salt, add 2 ladles of hot water, half-cover and continue cooking, 2 to 3 hours or until your meat is tender.
If necessary, moisten with a little of warm water.
- - Remove wild boar pieces from your casserole.
Purée the gravy with all its vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Your sauce should be quite thick.
Place sauce and meat in your casserole again.
Just before serving
- - Simmer, 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve hot in individual plates.
- - You have to use frozen wild boar because you need to hang this kind or meat.
So let it thaw before marinating.
- - If you find boned wild boar the right dose is 500g (1.1 pound)
- - If you like, you can add 1 1/2 tinned tomatoes to the ingredients.
- - You can prepare this dish in advance and then warm it up just before serving.
- - Stew wild boar is a winter dish considering its long cooking. It's perfect with boiled potatoes or "polenta" (as you can see in the photo even with wholemeal polenta) or mashed potatoes.
- - You can cook this wild boar dish for your family or special get-together menu.
- - Read a full menu of mine for this recipe in the following paragraph. It's ideal for Holiday Season too.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Starter: assorted antipasto platter composed by halved hard-boiled quail eggs garnished with mayonnaise on top, game salami, pecorino cheese in pieces and crostini with black truffle Spoleto-style. Look at our Italian starters and appetizers for other ideas.
First course: mushroom tagliatelle or fettuccine Roma-style.
Second course: this wild boar recipe accompanied by mashed potatoes or boiled vegetables to be fried slightly in a pan in olive oil and garlic and/or onion just before serving.
Dessert: this menu is rich in ingredients. I generally close it with a fruit salad. You can serve it inside pineapple as you can see in pineaple-and-kiwi salad. Read more ideas in cakes and desserts.
- - Are you interested in polenta making and recipes?
- - I'm going to examine the situation in case you want to prepare stew wild boar for your family.
- - Wild boar meat is quite lean, high in protein and with an average content of calories. So nutrition facts of the recipe you choose will depend on the other ingredients and seasoning and how you accompany your dish. Besides you must be very careful to plan the other meals of the day. Problem that occurs every time you prepare meat recipes.
Side dish. Mashed potatoes can be a tempting solution but remember you should avoid bread in case because bread and potatoes shouldn't be eaten together. If you are not able to give up bread (serving per head = 50g - 1 3/4 ounce) I recommend a seasonal vegetable side dish as I've just suggested before. Look at our vegetable recipes for other ideas.
Main meal. Pasta or rice to be served with a vegetarian sauce.
- - Fiber per serving: 3 grams. Very low fiber content, so if you want to ensure the daily requirement (30 grams) suggested by nutritionists, you have to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables during the day.
What's the right wine for " Stewed wild boar "?
My husband and I match Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (red wine from Tuscany - Italy)
Rating: 3 / vote cast: 2