Coniglio in potacchio
Rabbit in potacchio Authentic Italian recipe of Marches
Rabbit in potacchio is very easy-to-do recipe for garlic lovers. This is the real way to cook rabbit in Marches I learnt from a friend who lives there. Read below the cooking technique from the preparation to the end. You'll need a few ingredients in addition to rabbit and garlic: white wine, herbs, olive oil and chili peppers. Pair red or white wine according to your own taste. Read below my tip. This dish is a good example of Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 1000g (2.2 pounds) raw rabbit, cut into pieces
- 80g (2.8 ounces) bacon, in a piece
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 7 garlic cloves
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- White vinegar
- Chili pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 350 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1463 (kJ)
Protein: 39.6 (g) 80 % GDA
Total fat: 20.8 (g) 30 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.1 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (167 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for rabbit in potacchio (rabbit stew in garlic-and-herbs sauce)
Preparation and cooking
- - Dip your rabbit pieces into white vinegar for some moments.
- - Then pat dry them with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Put rabbit pieces into a frying pan without any fat.
- - Roast them for a few minutes on both sides over a medium heat.
This step is necessary for your rabbit can expel its juice.
- - Remove from the pan and put apart.
- - Chop bacon together with 2 garlic cloves finely.
- - Put olive oil into a pan together with the remaining cloves of garlic, crushed and your chopped ingredients and rosemary.
- - Add your rabbit pieces too and fry them on both sides over medium heat for some minutes.
- - Pour in wine, season to taste with salt and pepper, low the flame to the minimum and continue cooking, half-covered, until your meat is tender.
Add some hot water or vegetable broth only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Eventually warm your rabbit up if you've prepared it in advance.
- - Serve rabbit in potacchio golden and hot.
- - This is a recipe for garlic lovers.
- - If you don't like garlic substitute it with 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives to add just before turning off the stove.
- - This friend of ours told me and my husband the technique of cooking in potacchio is typical of Marches and is also applied to chicken, snails, monkfish and some mollusks, in addition to rabbit. In practice it is meat or fish stewed with lots of garlic, herbs (rosemary, above all), white wine and chilli. Pretty simple after all, isn't it?
- - Accompany rabbit in potacchio with raw or cooked seasonal vegetables according to your own taste.
- - I don't think this may be a cooking technique of choice if you have guests unless you don't share the same love for garlic with them ;))
- - Writing this recipe I have faithfully reported the doses used in Marches region.
Keep in mind that you eat only 70% of your rabbit and then the real meat is 170 g per person, higher than the recommended daily portion. Furthermore, the rabbit meat has 4.3 grams of fat per 100 grams of edible portion and is rich in protein (19.9 grams), like all meat. Here is the explanation for the high protein content.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.4 grams
What's the right wine for " Rabbit in potacchio "?
You could be interested in more recipes and wines about Marches. Follow the link!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1