Boiling rabbit and easy to do rabbit salad Our original home cooking
Hi, today I want to tell you about some recipes useful for your Sunday menu. On Sundays we like to cook something tasty, don’t we? Naturally I'm here to suggest Italian recipes, in this case Mediterranean dishes! I imagine you know very well this kind of dishes are not only made with fish. White meat like rabbit has its importance too.
Well. Last Sunday my husband Carlo and I had a rabbit to cook and the only thing we knew was we didn’t want to eat the usual rabbit recipe. So we thought to boil rabbit. Its meat, boiled, is very tender and tasty. Think of it: a tasty rabbit salad for dinner and with its stock a very good risotto for lunch. A rabbit, two meals :)) Read more below!
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1 1.3kg (2.9 pounds) whole rabbit
- 1 onion
- 2 halves sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 sachets (0.30g) Saffron ground powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chives
preparation: 20 minutes
plus cooling time for boiled rabbit
cooking: 1 hour 20 minutes
total: 1 hour 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 227 (kcal) 12 % GDA (*)- 948 (kJ)
Protein: 30.6 (g) 62 % GDA
Total fat: 11.6 (g) 17 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.0 (g)
Sugars: 0.0 (g)
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (57 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Easy-to-do boiled rabbit salad recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Boil your rabbit.
Wash rabbit under running water and divide it into quarters.
Prepare the onion. Peel it and insert both cloves.
Boil rabbit in abundant salted water in which you also have to add onion and sun-dried tomatoes.
When water is boiling add saffron too.
Let your rabbit boil until tender, about 70 to 80 minutes, and then let it cool in its cooking water.
You can also cook it the evening before.
- - Make your rabbit salad.
When rabbit is cold, remove its meat from the bones and cut into pieces.
Its surface is yellow for saffron but its meat inside is clear.
Dress rabbit meat with chives (wash, pat dry with abosrbent kitchen paper and cut in with scissors) and olive oil.
Stir accurately and season to taste with salt, if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Let your salad rest, at least a couple of hours.
Your dish is ready to serve!
- - You can make this recipe in two days.
The evening before, boil your rabbit and let it cool in its cooking water overnight.
The day after, bone and dress it.
You should serve it for dinner. It would be preferable to serve meat in the evening.
Carbo at luch and meat at dinner :))
If it is too hot, chill it until serving but remember to bring it back to room temperature!
- - There is another recipe for rabbit, once boiled. You can bone and cover it with olive oil. Let it marinate, at least 24 hours. It is a real tidbit you can serve in a meal, buffet style too. It's a typical recipe from Piedmont where I live. It is called tuna rabbit (tonno di coniglio).
- - This recipe for rabbit salad is very simple to do. It seems you'll need too long time but active time is short, really!
- - You can make this recipe all year round and it is very healthy. Plan it for your family menu especially if you have kids.
- - It is a low-fiber recipe and so you should accompany your rabbit salad with a lot of seasonal vegetables or minestrone that is the authentic vegetable soup, Italian style.
Useful links for this recipe
- - This is the link to bell pepper risotto recipe that I made with rabbit stock. You'll be also able to read other tips to plan better your daily menu with a rabbit.
- - The recipe for rabbit, boiled and seasoned with olive oil and chives, has acceptable calories and fat (cholesterol is limited too). Its proteins have a high biological value and since this meat is considered a hypoallergenic food, it is very good for children.
Also remember that rabbit meat contains good amounts of potassium, iron and phosphorus.
- - Meat has no fiber and so this dish has no fiber!
What's the right wine for " Boiling rabbit and easy to do rabbit salad "?
My husband and I paired Greco di Tufo (white wine from Neapolitan area) to this rabbit salad.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2