Sformato di carne e verza
Mediterranean cabbage and meat pie Our original home cooking
I bake this meat and cabbage pie in pans of different shape, especially in a dome mold when I have to serve it in a nice way as you can see in the photo. It's very tasty and easy to prepare and has another advantage: I can safely decrease the amount of meat per person. In this case 250 grams are more than enough for 4 people. Nutrition experts encourage us to eat less meat. Recipe for Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) minced beef
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) cabbage
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 30g (1 ounce) pistachios, shelled
- 30g (1 ounce) cherry tomatoes in oil, well drained
- 40g (1 1/2 ounces) plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 40 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 267 (kcal) 14 % GDA (*)- 1117 (kJ)
Protein: 21.3 (g) 43 % GDA
Total fat: 14.2 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 15.3 (g) 6 % GDA
Sugars: 5.2 (g) 6 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (65 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Meat and cabbage pie recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare cabbage.
Clean cabbage, wash and cut into very thin strips.
Clean and wash leek. Slice it diagonally and finely.
Put olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add leek and cabbage.
Let all fry very slightly on very low heat and, after 5 minutes, cover your pan.
Stir very often. Avoid adding any liquid. Cook other 15 minutes.
Turn off the stove and let your mixture cool.
- - Prepare final mixture.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
Add all other ingredients in the same pan: minced beef, pistachios, well drained tomatoes, both eggs (beaten with chives and a pinch of salt) and breadcrumbs.
Season to taste with salt and stir accurately.
- - Transfer this mixture into a silicone mold. Remember to grease your mold if it is not made of silicone.
- - Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Wait about 10 minutes before turning it upside down a serving platter.
- - Accompany this pie with seasonal green salad or other seasonal side dishes.
- - I prefer minced beef to veal for this recipe.
- - I prepare this pie especially in autumn and winter when cabbage is in season.
- - I accompany it with a lot of vegetables according to the tips of modern nutritionists that recommend us to eat more vegetables and less meat.
- - Fiber per serving: 4.5 grams (recommended daily intake is 30 grams).
What's the right wine for " Mediterranean cabbage and meat pie "?
Choose a rosé wine or a very young red wine to match to this meat pie.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1