Galletto ai funghi
Cockerel with mushrooms Our original home cooking
Cockerel (or poussin for you?) accompanied with fresh mushrooms is a tasty main course you can prepare for your family or a special occasion. Choose the mushrooms very carefully. If you find porcino mushrooms (penny ben) you'll have the best result but this dish is tasty even with white mushrooms or frozen assorted mushrooms.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 80g (2.8 ounces) young new onions or a little onion
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (1 tablespoon if dried)
- 2 cockerels or 1 chicken (1000g - 2.2 pounds)
- 400g (14 ounces) tomato pulp
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1000g (2.2 pounds) fresh mushrooms or 600g (1 1/3 pound) frozen mushrooms
preparation: 20-40 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 80 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 424 (kCal) 22 % GDA (*) - 1772 (kJ)
Protein: 44.4 (g) 60 % GDA
Total fat: 24.0 (g) 35 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 7.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.0 (g) 6 % GDA
Clean the mushrooms removing any lumps of earth and other impurities with the tip of a knife blade. Brush off grit and dirt with a
toothbrush. Do not rinse them with running water; you could loose their delicate taste! Moisten some absorbent kitchen paper and clean
them accurately. Slide them lengthways.
Put them in a saucepan with the halved cockerels (or the chicken cut into large pieces), olive oil, herbs, onions (finely chopped), tomato, wine and water. Season with salt and bring to the boil; simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes, covered. Stir from time to time with a wooden spoon.
If necessary, you could add some more water.
Stop cooking when the sauce is well reduced.
- - If you don't have fresh mushrooms, you can also use frozen ones (600g - 1 1/3 pound).
What's the right wine for " Cockerel with mushrooms " ?
Our suggestion is: Bardolino (an Italian red wine from Venetia).