Crocchette di pollo
Chicken croquettes Traditional recipe
Chicken croquettes are a mixture of leftover cooked chicken, cotto ham, mushrooms and bechamel. A delicious dish that adults and children like very much all over the world. They can be prepared in two ways: according to the traditional recipe without looking at fat and calories or trying to turn them into a dish more digestible and less problematic for your figure. Make the right choice for you ;)))
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) leftover cooked chicken
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) prosciutto cotto (Italian cotto ham) in a slice
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) button mushrooms
- 1 egg
- Some sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 15g (1/2 ounce) all-purpose flour
- 30g (1 ounce) butter
- 90ml (3 fluid ounces - 1/3 cup) milk
- Freshly ground black pepper, if liked
- Plain bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 249 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1043 (kJ)
Protein: 21.1 (g) 43 % GDA
Total fat: 16.5 (g) 24 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 4.3 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 1.4 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (129 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Chicken croquette recipe
Preparation and cooking
Generally chicken croquettes are prepared with leftover cooked chicken but you can also use turkey.
- - Chop mushrooms finely and cook them with half the butter.
Let the cooking juice reduce very well.
- - Season mushrooms with chopped parsley and salt at the end of cooking.
- - Meanwhile remove all chicken skin, if present.
- - Then strip the flesh off the chicken.
- - At this point mince chicken meat together with cotto ham.
- - Prepare bechamel sauce (link to my recipe below) with the remaining butter, flour and milk.
- - Transfer minced meat into a bowl.
- - Add mushrooms, egg and bechamel.
Season with salt and pepper, if liked.
- - Shape your croquettes as you can see on the photo, not too big.
- - Dip them in bread crumbs.
- - Fry your croquettes in abundant boiling oil.
- - Once fried, trasfer them on a serving plate on which you've put some absorbent kitchen paper to remove the fat in excess.
Just before serving
- - Serve hicken croquettes warm or cold.
- - Tips for chicken croquette recipe less rich in fat and calories.
It's enough to cook mushrooms in olive oil and not in butter.
Prepare a light bechamel (link below) but in this case it isn't the bechamel or butter to increase total fat and calories. The problem is the cooking method, in other words frying!
So what is the solution? bake your croquettes, don't fry them!
- - Serve your chicken croquettes with tomato salad or seasonal green salad or French fries if you prepare them as main dish.
- - The chicken croquettes are a great solution when you have to prepare a buffet, a cold dinner in summer, a starter in all seasons and an unusual main dish. An excellent solution with the leftover turkey after your Christmas lunch or New Year's Eve menu. The recipe serves 4 when prepared as main dish. Obviously these doses serve more than 4 people (up to 8) if prepared for a buffet or a starter.
Useful links for this recipe
- - By the way, calories and fat of chicken croquettes you can read just above do not consider the cooking method. You have to add 100 to 150 kcal per 100g of fried product if you want to know their real nutrition facts.
What's the right wine for " Chicken croquettes "?
Our tip is a young red or rosé wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1