Dadolata di tacchino
Turkey salad Our original home cooking
This unusual turkey salad is a cold dish. An exclusive recipe of mine that can be served in a summer dinner menu but it can be an excellent choice for a buffet too in every season. Turkey breast is cooked in the oven with the beer and then diced and combined with my sweet pepper solid mousse, croutons, stuffed olives and many aromatic herbs. It tastes fantastic! Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 600g (1.3 pound) turkey breast, in a piece
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 60g (2.1 ounces) fresh young onion, finely chopped
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) green olives, stuffed with sweet peppers
- 4 or 5 long strips of sweet pepper solid mousse
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) sandwich loaf (about 7 to 8 slices)
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) beer
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: about an hour
total: 1h 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 358 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1496 (kJ)
Protein: 29.0 (g) 58 % GDA
Total fat: 19.5 (g) 28 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 16.8 (g) 7 % GDA
Sugars: 6.7 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (144 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for turkey breast salad
Preparation and cooking
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Put the turkey breast in a baking pan together with 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons dried chives, parsley, rosemary, bay leaf, sage, onion and beer.
Season to taste with salt and bake, about an hour, turning meat and basting with cooking juices now and then.
Cook until the meat is very soft.
- - While meat is cooling, prepare the croutons.
Don't turn off your oven.
Oil the slices of sandwich loaf with 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake until the bread is crunchy and then cube the slices.
- - Cube the sweet pepper solid mousse, prepared the day before (link tothe recipe below!).
- - When the turkey breast is cold, dice it and put in a large bowl.
Add the sliced green olives, bread and sweet pepper mousse cubes, 1 tablespoon dried chives and the remaining olive oil.
Season to taste with salt, if necessary, and sprinkle with paprika.
Stir very well.
Just before serving
- - Your dish is ready.
Serve it at room temperature.
- - If you prepare this dish in advance, you can keep it in the refrigerator but you have to bring it back to room temperature before serving.
- - With the remaining mousse you can make some canapés or serve it as a side dish in another meal.
You can keep the sweet pepper mousse for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
But you could also halve the doses when you prepare it.
- - You can serve this cold turkey dish in many occasions: a buffet in every season, a cold meal in summer, a lunch or dinner that you have to prepare in advance.
- - If you serve it together with other courses, the doses are enough for more people.
Useful links for this recipe
- - As promised, here's the link to the recipe to make at home bell pepper solid mousse
What's the right wine for " Turkey salad "?
Pair Isonzo Pinot Grigio (white wine from Friuli Venezia Giulia - Italy) to this cold dish with turkey.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1