Paté di vitello
Veal paté Authentic Italian recipe from Lombardy
Veal patè. This recipe, typical of Lombardy, is easy to do and delicate in the same time. There are many other kinds of paté in the Italian traditional cooking, made with liver or game meat. In every case you can serve them as a starter to open your lunch or dinner menu.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) lean veal
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1cup) white dry wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- A piece of cinnamon
- 55g (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1 cup) jelly
- White pepper, if you like
preparation: 40 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 188 (kcal) 10 % GDA (*)- 787 (kJ)
Protein: 16.2 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 12.5 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.8 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 2.8 (g) 4 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (226 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Veal patè recipe
Preparation and cooking
You have to realize this recipe in two moments.
- - The day before
Begin marinating veal meat in white wine with cloves, cinnamon, pepper and bay leaf.
Let your meat marinate until the day after.
Then prepare jelly following the instructions on the package and pour it into a terrine dish.
Preserve it in the refrigerator.
- - The day after drain your meat from the marinating juices, cut into little pieces and put in a saucepan with a little butter, carrot, onion and celery.
Let all fry slightly, stirring frequently, some minutes.
Then add all marinate liquid.
Continue cooking, half-covered, over a gentle flame until meat is tender, at least 30 minutes.
Add other warm water only if necessary.
Meanwhile take away the butter from the refrigerator in order to let it soften.
Put all meat apart, let it cool and then purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Transfer your mixture into a bowl and season to taste with salt.
Add some drops of brandy according to your taste (but remember: this dish must be delicate!) and softened butter.
Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Spoon it in the terrine dish with jelly, level its surface and put in the refrigerator, at least 2 hours.
Just before serving
- - Turn upside down your paté from the terrine dish, slice and serve.
- - Any problem in turning upside down your paté? no problem ;))
If you want to make easy this step you have to plunge your terrine dish in a little of warm water for half a minute.
Then turn out the patè on a serving platter.
If your paté doesn't move away from the terrine dish, plunge it again in the warm water.
- - Usually, I prepare this veal pate for Christmas holidays. It is very useful to create dishes of assorted appetizers but it is also an excellent solution when you have to plan meals, buffet style.
What's the right wine for " Veal paté "?
Match Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (a red wine of Abruzzo) to veal patè but remember that Italian bubbles are another good choice, especially when you serve it in an assorted antipasto platter.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1