Wild mushrooms (porcini) in oil Authentic Italian recipe
Porcini mushrooms in oil are very tasty and if you're lucky enough to have fresh, firm, good smelling mushrooms, you can be tempted to preserve them in oil. But you must be very careful. As a microbiologist I must remind you that behind all homemade canned food it can hide the problem of Botox. This is the reason why, between preserving mushrooms in oil and freezing them, I always prefer the second solution. Anyway here it is the recipe for porcini in oil. Follow all the steps carefully. These precautions may seem excessive but it is always better to do more than less.
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) fresh wild mushrooms (Boletus)
- 700ml (1 1/2 pint - 3C) white vinegar
- 500ml (1 pint - 2C) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Thyme or cloves, if you like
preparation: 40 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 h 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: n.c. (kcal) - n.c. (kJ)
Protein: n.c. (g)
Total fat: n.c. (g)
Total carbohydrate: n.c. (g)
Sugars: n.c. (g)
Download free PDF version (147 download).
Recipe for homemade porcini mushrooms in oil
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare porcini mushrooms.
Choose firm mushrooms.
Look at them accurately: they must have no little hole.
Clean mushrooms accurately.
Cut off the end of every stipe, if covered of earth.
Then wip every mushroom (stipe and cap) with a moistened cloth.
Don't wash mushrooms! They may loose their smell easily.
Let little mushrooms whole.
Cut the bigger ones into slices.
- - Blanch mushrooms.
Put vinegar and an equal quantity of water in a large pot.
Add a large handful of salt, bay leaves and black pepper.
Bring to the boil and blanch mushrooms for 4 minutes from the moment in which water boils again.
Remove them from the boiling water quickly with a skimming ladle.
Arrange them on a towel, well separated one from the other.
Cover with another towel and let them dry for 24 hours.
Remember to turn them over now and then.
- - Sterilize empty jars.
Meanwhile sterilize jam jars or preserving pots.
Let them boil for 20 minutes.
Then let them dry accurately, covered.
- - Fill jars.
Put mushrooms into the jars adding also thyme or cloves if you like.
Cover mushrooms with olive oil.
Put the save-flavor for preserves.
They are designed to keep your canned food in the right position.
Close your jars and arrange them in a deep pan.
- - Sterilize jars with mushrooms.
Fill the pan with water up to 4-5 cm over the jars.
Bring to the boil and let the water boil for 30 minutes.
Be careful the water is always over the jars.
Add boiling water if necessary.
But the best solution is to use the sterilizer!
Just before serving
- - When you open your jar to serve Porcini mushrooms in oil check that:
the cover has maintained the vacuum
fungi do not show mold or color changes
your mushrooms do not have unusual smells.
- - You can prepare 4 to 5 250ml jars with these doses.
- - Use also assorted mushrooms instead of Boletus.
- - Some people like adding 2 garlic cloves in the mixture of water and vinegar.
- - Preserve mushrooms up to 8-9 months.
- - I never get tired of remembering the problem of Botox.
Do not fall into the temptation of preparing mushrooms in oil without any further sterilization.
Preserving them only in oil does not ensure proper conservation!
Among other things, you would have total security only when the temperature were brought to 120° C (boiling doesn't mean to reach such a temperature). You should use a sterilizer in which you could control temperature.
- - How to serve porcini mushrooms in oil? In Italy we have the habit to use them in our traditional antipasto. Prepare an antipasto platter with assorted salami and cheeses, bruschette, crostini, canapés and other canned food.
- - Another idea is to use porcini in oil for your pizza topping. Read the recipe for 4 season pizza.
- - Use them as an ingredient for your cold pasta salad or rice salad. Think of pasta sauce ideas ...
- - Choose porcini mushrooms as an ingredient to stuff your pot roast beef or fill your turkey or for other meat dishes.
- - Consult our page dedicated to savory pies or cakes for other ideas. All links below.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could be interested in more details about boletus mushrooms. Follow the link to our site dedicated to Italian food and healthy eating. (theitaliantaste.info)
- - Here's the recipe for 4 season pizza.
And savory pie and cake recipes.
- - As you have seen I didn't calculate calories, fats, sugars and proteins of Porcini mushrooms in oil. They would be approximate and I do not like to be inaccurate in this area.
There are the quantities of all ingredients but no one can be sure how much olive oil mushrooms may absorb thanks to their spongy structure. And it's the oil that determines calories and total fat in this case.
But keep in mind that, like all products in oil, this kind of canned food should not be consumed with great frequency. Too fat and salt!
So enjoy them in a special occasion menu ;)
Rating: 5/ vote cast: