Gnocchi di patate n°1
Potato dumplings "gnocchi" Authentic Italian recipe
- 1 kg (2lb and 3 1/4oz) yellow-flesh potatoes
- 300 g (10 1/2oz) all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
preparation 30 minutes
plus cooking time for potatoes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 431 (kCal) 22 % GDA (*) - 1805 (kJ)
Protein: 12.6 (g) 17 % GDA
Total fat: 2.6 (g) 4 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 95.3 (g) 36 % GDA
Sugars: 2.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Potato dumplings or gnocchi is a typical Italian dish. It isn't difficult to make them at home.
Besides it's a tasty dish made with simple and poor ingredients. You can choose a meat or fish or vegetable sauce to combine with them.
Enjoy this Italian tasty recipe with your family and friends. Here's the recipe!
Cook the potatoes. Cook the potatoes in plenty of salted water or steam them.
Peel and put them through a food mill while still hot.
Prepare the potato dumplings. Put the puréed potatoes with the flour and a pinch of salt on a lightly floured work surface.
Mix all the ingredients. Work the dough at length.
If there is too much flour in the dough, the dumplings will be hard. If you put too much potato, they will disintegrate in the saucepan. The doses in this recipe are indicative, seeing that the balance depends on the "flouriness" of the potatoes, their absorbency capacity and the quality of the flour used.
Let the dough rest for a quarter of an hour.
Then roll it into long fingers and divide them into cylinders about an inch long. Dust lightly with flour and, with your thumb, press them gently, one by one, along the back of a grater or a fork. Arrange them on lightly floured dishes without putting one on another one.
Cook immediately in plenty of salted boiling water. They are cooked as soon as they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Dress them at once as you wish.
- - We prefer to steam potatoes instead of boiling them in a plenty of salted water to avoid their flesh absorb too much water.
- - Don't drain the potato dumplings as you are used to do with pasta. When they float to the surface remove them with a skimming ladle and transfer immediately in the pan with the hot sauce. Stir with delicacy.
- - These potato dumplings are vegan recipe if they are combined with vegetable sauce.