Boiled sturgeon Traditional Italian recipe with water fish
This is one of the most common recipes for cooking sturgeon that tries to maintain the delicate flavor of its meat. Sturgeon is a refined fish, unfortunately a bit expensive in Italy, which is available in winter and especially at Christmas time.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 6 medium size sturgeon slices (about 1kg - 2.2 pounds)
- For court-bouillon
- 50g (1.8 ounces) onion
- 80g (2.8 ounces) carrot
- 30g (1 ounce) celery stick
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 100ml (3.3 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- For seasoning
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
preparation: 5 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 40 minutes
total time: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 293 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1225 (kJ)
Protein: 28.8 (g) 58 % GDA
Total fat: 19.7 (g) 29 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (118 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Boiled sturgeon recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare court-bouillon.
Put 2 liters (4 1/4 pints) water, wine and all other ingredients in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, season to taste with salt, reduce heat and simmer, 20 minutes.
You could prepare court-bouillon in advance.
- - Cook and season the fish.
Arrange all sturgeon slices in your court bouillon and boil on a very low heat, 10 to 15 minutes, according to the thickness of sturgeon slices.
Let your fish cool in its cooking water.
Drain it very well.
Mix lemon juice with olive oil. You can modify these quantities according to your own taste.
Arrange sturgeon slices on a serving plate.
Season them accurately.
Just before serving
- - Keep sturgeon in a cold place until serving.
Serve it at room temperature.
- - This is the basic recipe. You can enrich it sprinkling the fish surface with aromatic herbs (chopped fresh parsley and chives for example) or other spices.
- - My husband and I also like boiled sturgeon very much seasoned only with olive oil and sprinkled with pimenton (sweet paprika).
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in a full fish-based Italian menu with this dish? follow the link!
- - Calories of boiled sturgeon are not very low for the olive oil used in seasoning. On the other hand, a good-quality extra virgin olive oil used raw enhances the flavor of boiled fish that is a very simple dish. And the sturgeon meat is really very delicate!
What's the right wine for " Boiled sturgeon "?
Our tip is: Ribolla Gialla of Colli Orientali in Friuli, an Italian white wine that matches very well to boiled river fish and lemon sauce.
Another choice is Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco from Venetian land. We suggest especially prosecco produced by the farm Le Carline that is our supplier.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1