Piatto unico multistrato
Multilayered creamy dish Our original home cooking
My multilayered creamy dish is a true goodness. A bit long to do but definitely full of gratification. First of all it's colorful and can be served in Carnival period too. It is very good and you can eat it digging your spoon into different layers. Particularly suitable for children.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) potatoes
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) frozen spinach
- 750g (1 2/3 pound) carrots
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) pumpkin
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) steamed beetroot
- 200g (7 ounces) cotto ham, in a slice
- 125g (4.4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 125g (4.4 ounces) low-fat yogurt
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid onces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) skim milk
- 85g (3 ounces) stoned green olives
- 2 sundried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) young fresh onions
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 60 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 2 h
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 656 (kcal) 33 % GDA (*)- 2743 (kJ)
Protein: 33.7 (g) 68 % GDA
Total fat: 28.4 (g) 41 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 68.2 (g) 26 % GDA
Sugars: 23.1 (g) 26 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (106 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Creamy multilayered dish recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare potato puree (mashed potatoes).
To lower calories and fat I generally use my recipe for light mashed potatoes working with low-fat milk and yogurt instead of butter. But you can easily follow the traditional recipe for mashed potatoes. Both links below
Remember to add a pinch of nutmeg.
- - Meanwhile clean and steam carrots and pumpkin.
- - Prepare spinach in the following way.
Chop onions and put in a non-stick frying pan together with half the olive oil.
Add spinach still frozen and sundried tomatoes.
Add olives, halved, and capers too.
Cook on low heat, half-covered.
Season to taste with salt.
Continue cooking, stirring now and then, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Add hot water only if necessary.
Let cooking juice reduce very well.
- - Slice carrots and pumpkin.
Pour remaining oil in another non-stick frying pan.
Add carrots, pumpkin and thyme too.
Season to taste with salt.
Let all vegetables fry on low heat until golden, stirring often.
- - Puree spinach and set aside.
- - Puree carrot-and-pumpkin mixture and set aside .
- - Puree beetroot.
- - Mix pureed beetroot to the half or puree potato.
Stir very well.
- - Grate mozzarella cheese.
- - Dice cotto ham.
Just before serving
- - If you like this recipe in transparent cups as I did, you have to prepare them just before serving.
- - Warm all vegetables pureed before.
- - Spoon the different mashed vegetables according to your own taste for color. Alternate layers made with pureed vegetables with some cotto ham cubes or mozzarella flakes. All hot vegetables will melt the mozzarella cheese.
- - Sprinkle some cotto ham cubes and mozzarella flakes on the top as you can see in the photo.
- - Serve with a spoon or with long-handled teaspoon.
- - Don't use cotto ham and you have a vegetarian dish.
- - Follow this recipe if you want to prepare carrots, pumpkin or spinach puree.
- - If you like this idea you can use it in different occasions but remember to reduce its portions.
For example you can use the dish as a placeholder to accompany meat or fish.
You can use it as a delicious starter, a little different than usual, serving it in glass. The glass must be placed on a flat course.
- - This single course in the cup is very tasty and colorful. So my husband and I photographed it over a colored tablecloth dedicated to Italian Carnival.
Useful links for this recipe
- - As promised, here are the recipes for low-fat mashed potatoes and classical mashed potatoes.
- - You could also be interested in Italian sweet and savory recipes for Carnival parties and DIY decoration ideas for home and school.
- - This dish consists of three mashed vegetables alternated with ham and mozzarella. It is obvious to expect a high content of all the nutritional values starting from calories. It is equally obvious that people who want to keep fit should plan it as a main dish.
Remember not to eat bread. There are already potatoes ;))
- - This one-course meal is ideal for kids to get them used to vegetables. Obviously you have to reduce the portion.
- - In any case, be careful to sugars. Don't make it frequently. I remind you that the daily requirement of sugar to which I refer for my calculations is suggested by Europe. But WHO has already indicated 50 grams per day as a threshold of simple sugars.
What's the right wine for " Multilayered creamy dish "?
If you like Italian wines our tip is a good Trebbiano of Romagna if you're used to drink white wine, on the contrary a young red wine such as Chianti (from Tuscany) or Sangiovese (from Emilia Romagna) if you love drinking red wines.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1