Step-by-step directions with photos to make pizza dough Italian traditional recipe
Do you like pizza? want to make it at home? On this page you'll find step-by-step photos with my own tips that mark the most important moments for kneading pizza dough. This is an authentic Italian recipe made with fresh yeast and olive oil. I also specify the size of baking dishes where to distribute your dough once risen.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 500g (1.1 pounds) all-purpose flour
- 25g (1 ounce) fresh yeast
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, if you want
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces) warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
preparation: 20 minutes
plus leavening time
cooking: 20 minutes
total time: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 519 (kcal) 26 % GDA (*)- 2169 (kJ)
Protein: 14.5 (g) 29 % GDA
Total fat: 10.9 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 96.7 (g) 36 % GDA
Sugars: 2.2 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (43 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for pizza dough: step-by-step directions with photos
- - Read my directions you can see close to every photo carefully.
Organize yourself! You'll work better if you have everything you need handy.
Arrange flour on the pastry board and make two cavities of different sizes. The large cavity will hold olive oil and yeast dissolved in warm water. On the contrary you'll put salt and sugar in the small one.
Pizza dough leavening will be optimal if, at the beginning, fresh yeast does not come in contact with salt and sugar.
Crumble fresh yeast in a small bowl and pour in lukewarm water. Make sure water temperature does not exceed 20°C (68°F). Dissolve fresh yeast helping you with your fingers and then pour your mixture into the large cavity. Pour a further drop of water into the bowl to collect any residual yeast and transfer it into the cavity.
Add olive oil too.
Mix olive oil with yeast dissolved in water with your fingers.
Begin to combine flour, starting from the inner edge and helping with the fingers of one hand.
When your mixture begins to dry, add warm water.
Once drawn in more than half of flour, you can also add salt and sugar to your mixture. Continue adding flour, stirring constantly, and pour in other water when necessary (always little at a time).
At this point gather all flour. Use both hands.
Begin kneading. Continue gathering all flour using a spatula too.
Add further water only if necessary.
It's very difficult to say what is the right amount of water. Much depends on variable factors like flour quality, weather ...
The dough should be soft and elastic at the same time.
You'll learn its right texture with experience.
Roll out your dough, roll it up, beat on your pastry board. The more you work, the better it is!
Pizza dough will be ready when your hands have no trace of dough.
Sprinkle your pastry board, shape your dough into a ball and sprinkle with flour. Cover with a napkin and let it rest until it doubles its volume, about a couple of hours.
Temperature can not be lower than 23°C (73.4°F) according to my experience.
- - Once finished pizza dough leavening, make these steps.
- - Divide pizza dough into your portions with a knife or a spatula. Do not worry if it deflates.
- - Grease baking dishes. It is not necessary to abound with olive oil. Just add a drop and brush it well over baking dish surface, uniformly.
- - If you have done pizza dough correctly and it is elastic, you'll be able to roll out every piece into the shape of your pans very simply, using only your hands or stretch it out directly on your oiled baking dishes.
If your pizza dough should break during this step, do not worry! You can reassemble it with your fingers.
- - Thickness of your pizza depends on the pan you choose.
These doses are enough for 4 round pizzas (32 inches in diameter) or for two rectangular pizzas (36 x 25 cm).
In the first case pizzas will be very thin, in the second thicker but nonetheless they will serve 4 people.
- - Follow the recipes for topping and cooking.
- - As you have seen, there is also granulated sugar among pizza ingredients. You can choose to add it or not.
- - Who should control fat in his diet can decrease olive oil or use milk instead of olive oil and water. Link to recipe below.
- - If temperature is not ideal for leavening, you could place your pizza dough in the oven with only pilot light lit.
- - Pizza is one-plate meal.
You can accompany pizza with seasonal green salad.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Take a look at the other page we have dedicated to pizza with fresh yeast. I also described how to use less yeast, thing that improves the taste of your pizza. You'll be able to read about calories, fat and sugar which is important to know.
- - Here's the recipe for pizza dough with milk.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1