Spanish cold vegetable soup ( Gazpacho )
Traditional Spanish recipe
time: preparation: 40 minutes
plus chilling time
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 3 slices of sandwich loaf
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 little onion
- 1 little green pepper
- A bunch of fresh mint
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons red vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250/500 ml (8-16 fl oz - 1-2 C) ice-cold water
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
plus chilling time
Download free PDF version (11 download).
The gazpacho is a typical dish from Andalusia and it is famous all over the world. Once Spanish people made it in a mortar; nowadays it is made with the help of a blender or a food processor.
Prepare all the ingredients. Remove the crust from the bread and cube. Boil the tomatoes for a minute, peel them, remove their seeds and cube. Peel the cucumber, remove its seeds and cube. Peel and chop the onion. Clean, wash and cube the green
pepper. Wash and chop the mint. Crush the garlic cloves. Put all these ingredients in a bowl; add the olive oil, tomato paste and vinegar. Season to taste with salt, stir very well and cover with a napkin; let it rest for about half an hour.
Meanwhile put the water in the freezer: you need ice-cold water for the following step.
After the resting time, purée the mixture in a blender or food processor until you have a cream. Pour the cream into a bowl and at this point add the ice-cold water until you obtain the consistence you like.
Chill in the refrigerator for almost 1-2 hours or until serving.
Serve this soup in little bowls or soup plates with ice-cubes: the more it is cold the more it is tasty.
- - You can serve this soup with cubed assorted vegetables (peppers, cucumbers ...), sliced black olives and hard-boiled eggs, croutons. Put all these ingredients in a bowl: every guest will be able to take what he likes. You can also distribute them in single little bowls.
- - This soup is a tasty first course for a summer dinner party.
- - Who doesn't like garlic can substitute it with a bunch or fresh chives, chopped, or 2 tablespoons dried chives. We tested this substitution and the dish is very good!
- - You have to use very ripe tomatoes; if you don't find them, you can also use canned peeled tomatoes.
What's the right wine for " Gazpacho " ?
Our suggestion is: Rioja Sin Crianza (red young wine from Spain) or, if you prefer an Italian wine, Castellino Rosato or Casteller.
You can find some ideas for combining Gazpacho with other dishes and setting up the table in the members-only area: so you'll be able to plan a Spanish dinner party!