Sherry-flavored meatballs ( Polpette allo sherry )
Traditional recipe from Spain
These meatballs cooked in sherry sauce together with potatoes taste fantastic. The cooking technique is very different from Italian cuisine but this dish is worth a try ;))
time: 1 hour 10 minutes
calories: 488 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300g (10.5 ounces) loin minced veal
- 200g (7 ounces) loin minced pork
- 80g (2.8 ounces) onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g (1.1 pounds) new potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces) sherry liqueur
- 250ml (8.5 fluid ounces) chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh breadcrumbs
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
25 % -
Protein: 30.7 (g) 62 % GDA
Total fat: 14.5 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 52.9 (g) 20 % GDA
Sugars: 13.0 (g) 15 % GDA
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (17 download).
Sherry-flavored meatballs recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Put both minced meat together with half parsley, 1 teaspoon paprika and garlic in a bowl.
Season to taste with salt and begin adding some fresh breadcrumbs.
Mix all these ingredients with your moistened hands and then continue adding breadcrumbs until the right consistence.
At this point you can shape walnut-sized meatballs.
- - Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan,add meatballs and let them fry on every side on medium heat.
Remove them from the pan with a skimming ladle and put on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess fat.
- - In the same pan, fry slightly onion, 1 teaspoon paprika and flour, 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Then pour in sherry and chicken stock very slowly, stirring continuously.
Bring to a boil.
- - Meanwhile ...
... cut potatoes if they are bigger than meatballs.
- - When sherry sauce boils, add potatoes, reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, 10 to 15 minutes.
At this point add meatballs too and cook for other 10 minutes.
Just before turning off the stove, sprinkle with remaining parsley and stir. Remember not to reduce cooking juice too much: look at the photo!
Just before serving
- - Your meatball dish is ready.
- - If you do not like garlic, substitute it with fresh chives, chopped.
- - You can add a little beaten egg if you are not able to shape your meatballs.
- - Do not use plain dried breadcrumbs; meatballs could be too hard. Use fresh rolls with a crisp crust and little crumb of the day before. You can have fresh breadcrumbs easily and quickly in a food processor.
- - You can prepare this meatballs dish for your family dinner menu or gatherings.
It tastes fantastic and you can enjoy it with friends and relatives!
- - These pork and veal meatballs are perfect as one-pot meal. You have only to add seasonal raw vegetables or fresh fruit to increase fibers.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.4 grams
What's the right wine for " Polpette allo sherry " ?
My husband and I like to uncork a Spanish white wine, Jerez Amontillado, to match to sherry-flavored meatballs. If you prefer an Italian wine, you could pair Rossese Dolceacqua (a red wine from Liguria) with this dish.