Puff pastry appetizers filled with anchovies ( Fagottini di pasta sfoglia ripieni di alici )
Our original home cooking
If you need to prepare a fish-only dinner party and do not have much time, this recipe is for you. Buy puff pastry and anchovies. In a short time, you will have tasty appetizers that can enrich an assorted appetizer platter or that you can serve in your happy hour (Italian aperitivo).
time: 60 minutes
calories: 80 (kCal)
Ingredients / 16 pieces
- 1 230g (8 ounces) pack ready-to-bake puff pastry
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh anchovies
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) pistachios, in their shell, toasted and salted
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- White dry wine
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
4 % -
Protein: 2.8 (g) 6 % GDA
Total fat: 5.1 (g) 8 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 5.7 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 0.9 (g) 1 % GDA
cooking: 35 minutes
total: 60 minutes
Download free PDF version (58 download).
Recipe for puff pastry appetizers filled with anchovies
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean anchovies: remove their entrails and fillet them.
Wash them under running water and transfer into a pan.
- - Add all aromatic herbs and pistachios.
Cover with wine.
Season to taste with salt and cook, on medium heat, until all cooking juice is very well reduced.
Once turned off the stove, remove bay leaf and pour in olive oil. Stir very well.
At this point your anchovies will be broken, don't worry!
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Unroll your puff pastry and cut it into 8cm (3 1/5 inches) diameter discs.
Spoon your filling on every disc. Don't put too much anchovy filling because you have to close every disc.
Fold in half every disc, moisten your fingers and close the ends very well.
- - Place your appetizers in the baking pan, lined with the same parchement paper of puff pastry.
Make some little cuts on their surface.
- - Bake until their surface is golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Serve these appetizers warm.
- - If you want, you can beat 2 quail eggs with a pinch of salt. Brush the surface of your appetizers with beaten eggs.
- - You can prepare these appetizers ahead without completing their cooking and bake again just before serving.
- - These puff pastry tidbits are very useful if you have to prepare an assorted fish-only antipasto platter. They are perfect if combined with salmon or tuna carpaccio or their smoked version. Very yummy dish for your Christmas menu, for sure!
- - My tip is to serve them in a meal, buffet style too.
- - Another idea? serve them in your happy hour (Italian-style aperitivo).
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in another filling? follow the link for baby octopus appetizers.
- - Be careful: calories, fat and sugar are related to a piece only.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.4g
What's the right wine for " Puff pastry appetizers filled with anchovies "?
Usually, my husband and I uncorck a bottle of Prosecco or rosé wine to match to these puff pastry appetizers but your choice must consider your whole menu.