Savory tart filled with salt cod, chickpeas and kale
Torta salata con baccalà, ceci e cavolo nero)
Our original home cooking
This savory tart with salt cod, kale and chickpeas is a recipe of mine which recalls the Tuscan way of cooking. In fact this particular cabbage (kale), in which the central leaves do not form a head, is typical of this region and local women, as well as chefs, process it in an infinite number of variations. This is one of them. Certainly from the nutritional point of view, this tart is an Everest of protein, calories and fat and the combination of some ingredients are not very well (think how many proteins from chickpeas , fish and mozzarella cheese!), but once in a while ... You can use soaked or salt cod to be desalted and in this last case you have to start a couple of days before.
time: 1 hour 20 minutes
calories: 591 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 2 servings pizza dough
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) salt cod, to be desalted
- 200g (7 ounces) kale, boiled
- 230g (8 ounces) canned chickpeas, well drained
- 200g (7 ounces) leek
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil
- 2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
- 125g (4.4) mozzarella cheese
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 90ml (3 fluid ounces - 1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- medium diffculty
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
30 % -
Protein: 35.1 (g) 71 % GDA
Total fat: 21.8 (g) 32 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 67.5 (g) 25 % GDA
Sugars: 3.9 (g) 5 % GDA
plus soaking for salt cod
plus leavening time for pizza dough
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 20 minutes
Download free PDF version (119 download).
Recipe for savory tart with salt cod, chickpeas and kale
Preparation and cooking
- - Desalinate salt cod.
I place salt cod, cut into two or three pieces, in a large bowl and cover it with cold water. I let it in the fridge for a couple of days, changing water at least three times a day.
- - Prepare pizza dough.
After soaking salt cod, prepare pizza dough. You can follow my instructions (link below) or your favorite recipe but remember to work 250g (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour.
- - Meanwhile pizza dough is leavening ...
... prepare other ingredients.
Slice leek finely.
Peel cod, remove their thorns and cut into small pieces.
Prepare tart filling. Let leek, anchovy fillets and bay leaf fry slightly in 1 1/2 tablesppons olive oil on very low heat, stirring often. When anchovy fillets are melted, stir in cod pieces. Let all flavor, 1 to 2 minutes, and then pour in wine. Add capers too and continue cooking on low heat. When cooking juice is about to reduce, add chickpeas and kale. Stir very well. Let all your ingredients reduce very well.
Requested time: about 10 minutes. On the contrary, increase heat. Once turned off the stove, season to taste with salt, if necessary. Remove bay leaf.
- - Prepare savory tart.
Preheat oven to 180 °C (350°F).
Grease a rectangular baking pan (26 x 33 cm - 10x13in) with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with all-purpose flour.
Line your baking pan with pizza dough to have an edge of one centimeter too.
Prick the bottom with a fork and spread your filling with a spoon.
Level tart surface.
Bake, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile grate mozzarella cheese.
Remove baking pan from the oven, sprinkle grated mozzarella on tart surface and complete baking, 5 minutes.
Cooking times are approximate and depend very much on your oven.
Just before serving
- - Let your savory tart rest before serving, five minutes.
- - I generally make my pizza dough with wholemeal flours. As you can see in the photo, in this case too.
- - If you have no time, please, use a ready-to-bake pizza dough or phyillo dough.
- - Given the richness of its ingredients, I suggest you to serve this savory tart as a main dish in your family menu accompanied by raw seasonal vegetables and fruit.
- - Another possibility is to serve it as starter, sliced and accompanied by other fish tidbits in a full menu for a special occasion.
- - It's perfect for a meal, buffet-style.
Useful links for this recipe
- - If you want to make homemade pizza dough, take a look at our directory on pizza where you'll be able to find the recipe you prefer.
- - I have already told you in my introduction the limits of this recipe regarding calories and fat and especially for its ingredient combinations.
Here I want to remind you we can decrease calories and fat choosing another tart shell, phyllo dough!
- - Fiber per serving: 7.0 grams.
What's the right wine for " Savory tart filled with salt cod, chickpeas and kale "?
My husband and I like pairing a good-quality, young Chianti (red wine from Tuscany) to this savory tart with salt cod, kale and chickpeas. It is fashionable to pair salt cod with red wine :))