Stewed pork ribs with savoy cabbage ( Costine di maiale con verze)
Pork rib stew with savoy cabbage is a traditional recipe in north of Italy and there are a lot of versions that differ for their ingredients and method. I show you my own recipe in which I try to put into practice some tricks to prepare a dish not too rich in fat without sacrificing its taste.
time: 3 hours 20 minutes
calories: 593 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) pork ribs
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) savoy cabbage
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh turkey sausage
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
30 % -
Protein: 53.1 (g) 107 % GDA
Total fat: 36.0 (g) 52 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 18.1 (g) 7 % GDA
Sugars: 9.3 (g) 11 % GDA
cooking: 3 hours
total: 3 hours 20 minutes
Download free PDF version (74 download).
Recipe for pork rib stew with savoy cabbage
Preparation and cooking
- - Degrease pork ribs.
Place your pork ribs in a pan and cover with abundant cold water.
Bring to a boil and let simmer, about 45 minutes.
Once turned off the stove, remove pork ribs with a skimmer ladle and put apart.
Throw away cooking water.
- - Meanwhile ...
... clean and steam your savoy cabbage. Let it whole.
Hard to say how long it takes. Much depends on how big savoy cabbage is. However, consider that it will have to undergo an additional cooking with ribs.
- - Final step.
Clean and chop leek.
Place 800ml (1 2/3 pints - 3 1/3 cups) cold water and tomato paste in a pan and bring to a boil.
Place leek in a crock pot or in a large pan and let it fry slightly in olive oil, on very low heat, stirring now and then, few minutes.
Add pork ribs and let them flavor on all sides, stirring now and then, few minutes.
Pour in hot water with tomato paste, reduce heat and continue cooking, an hour and half.
Meanwhile cut sausage into pieces and savoy cabbage into strips.
After an hour and half, add sausage and savoy cabbage. Season to taste with salt and continue cooking, half-covered, about half an hour.
Your meat will be well cooked when it comes away easily from the bone.
Add other hot water only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Let your pork rib stew rest for some minutes before serving.
- - You could prepare pork rib stew in advance and heat it up just before serving. It will be still tastier ;))
- - Generally, I use turkey sausage because it has less fat than pork sausage.
- - If you like garlic, add it to leek.
- - These stewed pork ribs with savoy cabbage are perfect as one-plate meal in winter for your family menu.
Complete your meal with fresh fruit.
- - The initial boiling makes pork ribs degrease significantly and makes them more digestible. I assure you that the taste is delicious. Besides we do not introduce excess saturated fat.
- - Fiber per serving: 8.5 grams
What's the right wine for " Stewed pork ribs with savoy cabbage "?
Generally, my husband and I uncork a bottle of Barbera (red wine from Piedmont) or Lambrusco Raspagrossa (red wine from Emila-Romagna) to pair to pork ribs with cabbage. In a restaurant we were offered Rosso Conero (red wine from Marches) and we liked it very much.