Authentic Italian recipes
Roast beef is a very tasty meat dish whose success depends on many factors including the choice of meat. Your meat should be well tenderized and big enough to cut large slices. You can bake roast beef in the oven or cook in the pan. Please, follow my instructions carefully not to let your meat piece dry !
time: 50 minutes
calories: 306 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1000g (2.2 pounds) sirloin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 30g (1 1/4 ounce) butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
16 % -
Protein: 36.4 (g) 73 % GDA
Total fat: 17.8 (g) 26 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
plus time for cooling and slicing the meat
cooking: 35-40 minutes
total: 50 minutes
Download free PDF version (184 download).
Roast beef recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Butter meat you've chosen for your roast beef.
- - Put meat in a large, deep pan with olive oil.
- - Brown on all sides over high heat.
- - Season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like) and add some hot water.
- - Continue cooking turning meat frequently, about 35-40 minutes.
To check its cooking, prick your meat with a fork. If blood juice comes out, cooking time is right. The greatest difficulty is in right cooking time. In fact if juice does not come out, cooking time is over and meat will be too dry.
Just before serving
- - Wait some minutes before slicing your roast beef.
- - Meanwhile add butter or some warm water to the pan to dilute gravy.
Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up all sediment from the base of the pan.
Boil until the liquid is thick or syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve with your roast beef in a gravy boat.
- - Cut roast beef into thin or thick slices according to your own taste.
- - Someone ties meat for roast beef into a firm, neat shape before cooking.
I do not make this step. I like a nice-to-see roast beef. Rather I prefer to be served well by my butcher.
The piece of meat ideal for roast beef does not need to be tied
- - You can prepare roast beef some hours in advance and serve cold.
- - If you serve roast beef in a buffet, the best solution is to slice it with the electric slicer to obtain slices not too thick and avoid inconvenience to people who should enjoy it.
- - You can choose among a lot of side dishes to accompany roast beef: baked or boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, seasonal salad, cheese spinach, steamed vegetables in season and so on.
- - Roast beef is an ideal meat dish in many special occasions.
Buffet: roast beef should never be lacking in a banquet because there are really a lot of people who like it but remember in this case its slices should be neither too large nor too thick. For a buffet my doses may be sufficient for 12 or more people. It depends on how many other dishes make up your menu.
Seated lunch or dinner. Roast beef is ideal when you are planning a menu planned according the order of a typical Italian menu (starter, first course, second course and dessert) and choose a starter and a first course rich in ingredients. You can not think of preparing an elaborated meat dish too. Roast beef is the perfect solution!
Roast beef is also the perfect choice for a delicate and refined menu. Serve it accompanied by my delicate Russian salad for an unusual way of serving. Link below.
- - Any roast beef left? do not worry! It tastes fantastic in a sandwich too as you can see in the photo. With a little seasonal salad it becomes a great lunch to take to work or school.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You couls be interested in mashed potato recipe too.
- Here's the recipe for delicate Russian salad, as promised.
- - If you like roast beef dish, keep in mind that 1kg (2.2 pounds) of meat for 6 people is excessive in the every day menu. The doses of this recipe are okay when you have to prepare roast beef for a get-together or a special occasion menu with relatives and friends.
But the portion of meat recommended by nutritionists for a healthy diet is 100 grams per day per head. So you have to lower the total amount of sirloin, which is often a problem because it's not a small size generally. Therefore I suggest to cook the smallest piece of sirloin that you can find and then distribute it over several days. The nutrition facts with the right amount of meat per day is:
calories: 212 (885 kJ)
total fat: 12.2g
- - You see what it means to follow the rules of healthy nutrition than what is suggested by the various cooking schools or chefs for the every day menu? Significant difference, is not it?