Iced cookies of Apulia ( Affogagatti )
Authentic Apulian cake recipes
The affogagatti are delicious cookies typical of Apulia. The recipe is very simple. Their calories are normal for a dry cake. Menu ideas: serve your affogagatti with tea or after dinner. If you serve them after dinner pair a meditation wine. We like Ramandolo of Friuli with these cookies. Do you want to see more Italian cakes and desserts before deciding your favorite recipe?
time: 1 h 20 minutes
calories: 416 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 400g (14 ounces) all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 40ml (1 1/3 fluid ounce - 2 2/3 tablespoons) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 8g (1/4 ounce) baking powder
- 1 lemon juice
- 90g (3.2 ounces - 2/3 cup) icing sugar
- 50ml (1 2/3 fluid ounce - 3 1/3 tablespoons) Italian grappa
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 7.5 (g) 15 % GDA
Total fat: 12.2 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 66.5 (g) 25 % GDA
Sugars: 27.3 (g) 31 % GDA
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
Download free PDF version (142 download).
Apulian iced cookies recipe
Put the butter together with the milk in a little saucepan and let it melt on a low heat. Switch off the gas and add the sugar, stirring.
Mix the flour, vanilla and baking powder on a pastry board; then make a well in the middle and add the eggs. Then pour in the melted butter a little at a time while, slowly, you are drawing in the flour from the edge of the well. Work until a smooth, elastic dough forms.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottom of some baking sheets with waxed paper.
Divide the dough into cylinders 10-12 cm long (4-5in). Flatten everyone lightly and then coil. Arrange them on the baking sheets, at a distance. Bake for about 10 minutes. The surface doesn't become golden.
Let them cool.
Meanwhile prepare the icing.
Put the icing sugar together with 120 ml (1/2 C) of water and bring to the boil on a very low heat. Boil for a minute and then add lemon juice and liqueur. Let all the ingredients boil for a minute.
Brush the surface of the cookies. Let them dry; the best thing would be to put them in the warm oven.
- - Very tasty cookies from traditional cuisine of Apulia. Serve it with tea of after dinner.
- - We prepared the icing in a different way. We put the lemon juice, icing sugar and 6 tablespoons of Cointreau liqueur in a little saucepan. We boiled the ingredients for some minutes and then added the water. We kept on boiling until the mixture has thickened. Then we halved the mixture and added some drops of different colours for food. We let the two kinds of icing cool and then brushed the cookies with them. In this way the icing is soften.
What's the right wine for " Iced cookies of Apulia "?
Our suggestion is: Ramandolo (dessert wine from Friuli - Italy)