Chocolate cake ( Dolce al cioccolato )
Our original home cooking
The chocolate cake you can see in the photo is one of the first cake created by me several years ago for a special occasion. It tastes fantastic and it has not many calories. Serve it after a meal with fish or meat or for a kitchen party or in a meal, buffet-style. Pair this chocolate cake with Brachetto d'Acqui or Asti spumante, both wines of Piedmont. Here's the recipe.
time: 1 hour
calories: 320 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 4 eggs
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) bitter chocolate
- 180g (6 1/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 35g (1 1/4 ounce) almonds, chopped
- 35g (1 1/4 ounce) hazelnuts, chopped
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) unsalted butter
- 7.5g (1/4 ounce - 2 teaspoons) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
16 % -
Protein: 6.0 (g) 12 % GDA
Total fat: 19.9 (g) 29 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 30.7 (g) 12 % GDA
Sugars: 19.3 (g) 22 % GDA
cooking: 30-35 minutes
total: 1 hour
Download free PDF version (126 download).
Chocolate cake recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Dissolve bitter chocolate in a water bath on very low heat and then melt butter stirring gently.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Butter a 22.5cm (9 in) round pie dish.
- - In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar for long time until pale and creamy.
Sprinkle in all-purpose flour, yeast and salt, stirring gently with a wooden spoon.
Fold in almonds and hazelnuts and then chocolate & butter mixture.
- - Gently, spoon into the buttered dish and level its surface.
- - Bake until firm and slightly shrunken from the sides of the dish, about 30-35 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your chocolate cake cool completely before turning it upside down on a serving plate.
- - For a better cake: cut your cake across horizontally. Fill it with jam according to your taste and sandwich discs of the sponge together.
- - You can use margarine instead of butter but I will strongly discourage its use.
- - Serve it with a little of ice-cream too. It's very good!!