Jamaica ring cake ( Ciambella Giamaicana )
Our original home cooking
Jamaica ring cake is a very simple sweet without milk and butter but with yogurt. This is a recipe of mine I named in this way for the presence of rum. You can prepare it for different occasions but the presence of refined flour and sugar doen't recommend it for frequent use despite its calories do not seem, at first sight, very high. Read why in my notes below ;)
time: 60 minutes
calories: 204 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 10
- 5 tablespoons rum
- 60g (2.1 ounces) candied orange, cubed
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 100g (3 1/2ounces) granulated sugar
- 125g (4.4 ounces) low fat yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 15g (1/2 ounce) cake yeast
- 3 tablespoons powdered bitter cocoa
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
11 % -
Protein: 6.1 (g) 13 % GDA
Total fat: 2.3 (g) 4 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 38.4 (g) 15 % GDA
Sugars: 19.2 (g) 22 % GDA
plus soaking time for sultanas
cooking: about 30 minutes
total: 60 minutes
Download free PDF version (112 download).
Recipe for Jamaica ring cake
- - Prepare dried and candied fruit.
Soak raisins in rum, about 20 minutes.
Squeeze raisins from soaking rum.
In the same liqueur flavor candied orange too, other 10 minutes.
- - Prepare cake mixture.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until a foamy mixture.
Add yoghurt and stir accurately.
Stir in white flour mixed with yeast and cocoa into.
Help yourselves with a strainer and stir with a wooden spoon.
Dip raisins and candied orange in the tablespoon of flour.
This step avoid do find all fruit at the bottom of your cake.
At the end add raisins and candied orange with rum too.
- - Prepare the ring mold.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Butter a 20-22cm (8 to 9-inches) ring mold.
- - Complete your cale mixture.
Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt.
Add to the mixture with a wooden spoon.
Stir with movements from the bottom to the top, very slowly.
Your cake mixture will be not too soft.
Pour the mixture onto the cake mold and level its surface.
- - Bake, 30 to 35 minutes.
Use a toothpick or long skewer to test your cake.
Poke the toothpick or skewer into the thickest part of the cake.
If it does not come out clean, the cake needs to bake longer.
Just before serving
- - Let you cake get cool before removing it from its mold.
- - Keep your cake at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
- - Jamaica ring cake is ideal for picnic, brunch or to close a fish menu. I mean a different occasion from routine.
- - Calories in this cake does not seem high, one could also think of eating it twice in a day at breakfast and as snack in the afternoon. But I would suggest you to check out its sugars.
Keep in mind that WHO estimated the proportion of sugars for a person with an energy intake of 2000 calories a day should not exceed 10% of total calories and should be around 50g. Two portions of this cake a day will lead dangerously close to the maximum amount allowed. That would mean no sugar in tea or coffee, no fruit ... being very careful with the rest of the daily meals.
We know American lobbies made so high pressure to get the percentage of sugars raised to 25% of calories. But the fact remains: whoever wants to follow a balanced diet to prevent many diseases from metabolic disorders to cancer have to think of it. The problem of the vast majority of cakes is just sugar.
So we should get used to natural flavors, avoid too much sugar every day and leave cakes for our special occasions.
- - But there is a good news: this is low-fat cake ^_-
The lack of butter, milk or oil has contributed significantly to this result. And the cake is really good anyway.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.8 grams (daily intake is 23 grams)
What's the right wine for " Jamaica ring cake "?
My husband and I usually serve arancino (orange-flavored liqueur), very cold!