Homemade ice-cream cake
Torta gelato casalinga
Our original home cooking
This homemade ice-cream cake is very easy to do and quick if you buy ready to fill sponge cake. Choose your favorite ice cream but be careful: you have to think of your menu too as I suggest below. The first time I made this cake a friend of mine that isn't very fond of sweets ate two slices of it!
time: 30 minutes
calories: 328 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 400g (14 ounces) sponge cake
- 150g (5 1/2 ounces) candied cherries
- 750g (1 2/3 pound) vanilla ice-cream
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) stracciatella ice-cream
- Maraschino liqueur
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
17 % -
Protein: 7.0 (g) 14 % GDA
Total fat: 8.7 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 56.3 (g) 21 % GDA
Sugars: 46.9 (g) 53 % GDA
cooking: no cooking required
total: 30 minutes
Download free PDF version (263 download).
Recipe for homemade ice cream cake
To make this cake you can use ready made sponge cake or you can choose to do it. Link to my recipe below!
- - Let stracciatella ice-cream and 500g (1.1 pound) vanilla ice cream soften lightly at room temperature.
- - Meanwhile cut 100g (3 1/2 ounces) candied cherries into small pieces.
Put apart remaining cherries for garnishing the top of your cake.
- - Line a mold with removable bottom with film for food.
- - Cut your sponge cake into 3 layers.
- - Put the first in the mold and baste it with a mixture made with water and maraschino liqueur.
You have to mix maraschino and water according to your taste.
Put candied cherries in the half of vanilla ice-cream and stir with delicacy.
Spread this ice-cream on the first layer.
Put the second layer on top of the first, baste it and spread stracciatella ice-cream.
Complete with the third layer; baste it and spread the remaining vanilla ice-cream.
- - Put your cake in the freezer for a few hours.
Take away from the freezer and remove it from the mold.
Transfer your cake on a tray that you can put in the freezer.
In the meantime, soften the remaining vanilla ice cream.
Use a smooth spatula to distribute ice cream along cake sides.
Look at the photo for more details.
It 's easier than you may think as long as the ice cream is soft enough.
Clean well the surface of your tray.
Put the cake again in freezer.
Just before serving
- - Remember to take your cake out of freezer 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- - If the tray is not the ideal choice to serve this cake, once it begins to soften let it glide onto a serving plate very carefully. I would suggest you, however, to organize first and choose a plate of glass or resistant to low temperatures to avoid last minute disasters ^_-
- - Decorate the surface with the whole cherries put apart.
- - For the best results I suggest you to layer your cake in a mold with removable bottom. Line it with film for food and let a piece of it out of the mold edges. In this way you can remove your cake from the mold very easily.
- - Look at the photo: this is a decoration of mine. In this case using my pastry bag I created some small decorations with whipped cream along cake edge where I put cherries. I placed in its center some chocolate chip that remind the flavor of stracciatella ice cream.
- - Choose flavors of ice cream you prefer but if you serve this ice cream cake in a full menu you have to think very well of its composition as I explain below.
- - This homemade ice cream cake is perfect for a birthday or other special occasions to celebrate in summer.
It is soft and tasty and you can pair it easily with a meat menu.
I would avoid this cake in a seafood menu. In this case I prefer the more acidic taste of these fruits: lemon and berries.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Want to know how I make sponge cake at home?
- - Nutrition facts include homemade sponge cake and industrial ice cream for which I'm familiar with calories, fat, sugar ... Any variation of ingredients may change this data!
- - As you can see if a slice of this ice cream cake is not an Everest from the nutritional point of view it has half the calories of a meal. So watch out! Especially for sugars. For your children and "big kids" you, working in the kitchen, must also be masters of taste. Don't let them get used to sweet flavors too much. Moral? This homemade ice cream cake should be a reward for a special occasion, not a habit!
- - No fiber in this ice cream cake, only 0.4g
What's the right wine for " Homemade ice-cream cake "?
I suggest you to serve a liqueur such as a very cold orange-flavored liqueur (arancino) or a dessert wine after eating the cake.