Asparagus and speck tagliatelle ( Tagliatelle agli asparagi e speck)
Our original home cooking
Noodles with asparagus and speck is a simple-to-do but very tasty first course. I recommend it for your Sunday lunch but in any case it's an excellent choice for a full menu for your invitation in spring when asparagus are in season. I experienced the same combination in my pasta salad with speck and asparagus (link below!). For the cold version I suggest a white wine but in this case I prefer to pair a rosé or red Lambrusco.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 250g (8 3/4) dried egg tagliatelle
- 60g (2.1 ounces) spring onion
- 500g (1.1 pound) fresh asparagus
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) Italian speck, in slices
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can peeled tomatoes
- A bunch fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: 17.2 (g)
Total fat: 12.7 (g)
Total carbohydrate: 49.8 (g)
Sugars: 8.5 (g)
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour
Download free PDF version ( download).
Recipe for tagliatelle with asparagus and speck
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare asparagus.
Cut off their end part just where their stem changes color from green to white.
If asparagus are thick, peel also their stem.
Run them under cold water.
Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Cut their tips and put them aside after halving lengthwise.
Slice their remaining part finely.
- - Prepare pasta sauce.
Chop finely onion.
Put olive oil, onion and sliced asparagus in a non-stick frying pan.
Saute them on very low heat, stirring now and then, almost 15 minutes.
Meanwhile drain peeled tomatoes from their preserving liquid and crush them with a fork on a plate.
Add crushed tomatoes and asparagus tips, season to taste with salt and continue cooking, other 10 minutes.
Add hot water only if necessary.
- - Meanwhile ...
... wash chives and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Cut speck slices into thin strips.
Cook tagliatelle al dente stage.
- - Just before turning off the stove under pasta sauce, add chives after cutting it with scissors.
Just before serving
- - Drain pasta and transfer into the pan with sauce.
Stir pasta, sauce and speck with delicacy but quickly.
- - Your pasta dish is ready to serve.
Serve it in individual plates.
Accompany your pasta dish with a little bowl full of grated Parmesan. Everyone who likes it will be able to serve himself according to his own taste.
It's a tip of mine to avoid adding Parmesan directly to common pasta. It's a valid suggestion especially when you are not familiar with the habits of your guests. Food allergies and food intolerance to dairy products are getting widespread.
- - When my husband took the photo I had used dried egg noodles in which chard was added to flour. That's why you see dark tagliatelle.
- - I sometimes prepare a larger amount of this pasta dish. I make an omelet (frittata) with leftovers the day after. Very good, I assure you ;)) Link below!
- - You can modify the amount of speck, obviously. But calories and fat will increase as I explain below.
- - As I have just written tagliatelle with bacon and asparagus may be a choice for your family menu or for an invitation when you have to plan a full menu.
- - Asparagus are in seson in spring and if you want to use them fresh you have to plan this pasta dish in April, May and June.
- - Asparagus are very tasty with other spring ingredients, so you can combine this pasta dish with other recipes based on artichokes or peas. Here's a full menu idea of mine! All links to suggested recipes below!
Starter. I'd prepare fried artichokes to accompany culatello or other Italian assorted salami.
First course. This tagliatelle recipe.
Second course. I prefer lamb meat in spring. But you could choose a classical roast meat recipe made with beef or veal cuts. Don't forget rabbit dishes but only for your get togethers with friends and relatives. In fact rabbit is inappropriate in formal invitations: too little bones ;)) Your side dish may be peas in all cases.
Dessert. Tart with ricotta and candied fruit? caprese cake? Neapolitan pastiera? take a look to our sweet directory for other recipe ideas.
Useful links for this recipe
- - At the beginning of this page I have mentioned cold pasta with asparagus and speck!
- - Do you know how to make pasta frittata? Consult our egg directory!
- - Finally, here are the recipe for your full Italian menu. Fried artichokes to start it!
Have a look at our pages dedicated to Italian meat recipe ideas and Italian desserts! You'll be able to find your favorite recipe, for sure!
- - Despite the presence of speck, calories of tagliatelle with asparagus and speck are under 400. The reason lies in my choice of egg pasta that is typically used in smaller portions than dry pasta (60 to 65 grams per person compared to 80 grams) and moderate use of speck. In any case, if you want to double speck, nutrition facts don't vary too much. Calories become 420, fat 15.3 grams and protein 20.8 grams.
- - If you prepare tagliatelle with speck and asparagus for your family lunch, serve seasonal vegetables and fresh fruit after.
- - On the contrary, if you include it in a a full menu for a special occasion, you can serve more people with the same doses. Even the double but it all depends on your remaining courses.
- - Fiber per serving: 4.7 grams
What's the right wine ?
My husband and I prefer rosé or red Lambrusco (wine from Emilia) to pair to tagliatelle with asparagus and speck or a red, young and bubbly wine.