Green tomato jam tart ( Crostata con marmellata di pomodori verdi )
Our original home cooking
October is the right month for this particular tart. Green tomatoes still on the plant do not have any more time to ripen, for sure, and the weather invites you to turn on oven again. So my tart with green tomato jam can become a great breakfast or snack. In addition, I prepare an egg and butter free tart shell, low in calories and fat. Goodness and health: a combination that I care a lot!
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 400g (14 ounces) green tomatoes
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) ripe tomatoes
- 1 organic lemon
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Egg and butter free tart shell
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Protein: 2.6 (g)
Total fat: 4.4 (g)
Total carbohydrate: 30.5 (g)
Sugars: 16.7 (g)
plus cooling and resting time
cooking: 1 hour 10 minutes
total: 1 hour 55 minutes
Download free PDF version ( download).
Green tomato jam tart recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare jam.
Wash and wipe green and ripe tomatoes.
Cut them into little pieces in a little saucepan.
Wash and wipe lemon.
Add vanilla bean, sugar, grated rind and juice of your lemon too.
Cook on very low heat until the right consistency.
It takes at least 40 minutes.
Remember to stir frequently.
- - Meanwhile prepare your tart shell. Link to my recipe below.
Let your dough rest, at least 30 minutes.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface.
Transfer it into a round silicone cake pan (diameter: 20cm - 8in).
Prick its bottom with a fork and spread your tomato jam.
Bake until tart shell is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your green tomato tart cool before you turn it upside down on a serving plate.
- - In the recipe for this sweet dough without eggs and butter I suggest a 15cm (6in) pan.
On the contrary, in this case I prefer a larger baking pan to have a less thick dough.
- - You can prepare green tomato jam the day before and modify the doses of all ingredients according to your taste.
- - Use wholemeal flour for a healthier recipe as you can see in the photo.
- - I prepare my tart filled with green tomato jam in early autumn for my breakfast.
- - I suggest it for a party, rustic style in the afternoon too.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Follow the link to my recipe for egg and butter free tart shell.
- - My version of green tomato jam tart is not rich in calories as you can read in nutrition facts above. However, be careful to simple sugars. According to WHO, sugar should be considered a poison and therefore it must be consumed with extreme caution. WHO sets the limit to 50 grams per day.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.9 grams.