Authentic Italian recipe
time: preparation: 30 minutes
calories: 12 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml (7 fl oz - 3/4 C) vinegar
- 25 g (1 oz) soft part of bread
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
1 % -
Protein: 0.4 (g) 1 % GDA
Total fat: 0.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.6 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.9 (g) 1 % GDA
Download free PDF version (166 download).
This sauce belongs to the Middle Ages; it was a poor dressing but many people used it for preserving food too. Now it is served with boiled fish, meat and vegetables but rarely.
Baste soft part of bread with a little vinegar and peel garlic. Beat bread and garlic in a mortar vigorously until you have an homogenous mixture. Pour it into a sauce boat and dilute with the remaining vinegar.
The sauce is ready.
- This original recipe has been modified in the years:
- - Somebody adds some oil, salt and black pepper; eventually a little vinegar for diluting it.
- - Other people warm up it a little in a saucepan.
- - Other people realize a marinated version adding onion and black pepper.