Sautéed artichokes, Neapolitan-style ( Carciofi alla Napoletana )
Traditional recipe of Campania, Italy
Sautéed artichokes in the Neapolitan way: a tasty way of cooking artichokes, Mediterranean-style. It's a simple and quick-to-do side dish. You'll need few, simple ingredients to do this side dish: artichokes, capers, green olives, garlic and parsley, a little lemon and good-quality olive oil.
time: 50 minutes
calories: 135 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 8 (1.2kg - 2 2/3 pounds) medium size artichokes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt
- 20g (3/4 ounce) fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if liked
- Lemon juice
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
7 % -
Protein: 3.2 (g) 7 % GDA
Total fat: 12.4 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.9 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 2.2 (g) 3 % GDA
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 50 minutes
Download free PDF version (68 download).
Neapolitan sauteed artichoke recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare artichokes.
Cut off the stalk close to the base. I suggest you to use a stainless steel knife.
Remove all the outside leaves, that are always tough, until you have the central core of pale leaves.
Trim every leaf to remove thorns and any brown edges.
Cut artichokes into slices and dip them in water that you have acidulated before with lemon juice in order to prevent browning, until their cooking.
- - Prepare other ingredients.
Clean, wash and chop parsley.
Stone and slice green olives.
Wash capers very well to remove salt.
- - The cooking.
Drain artichokes very well.
Heat oil together with garlic in a flameproof casserole. Be careful not to brown garlic cloves too much.
Turn off the stove, remove garlic and add artichokes slices.
Turn on the stove again and let artichokes flavor on a high flame for a few minutes to dry, stirring often.
At this point add capers, green olives and a glass of hot water.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, until well reduced. (Expected time: about 15 to 20 minutes)
If necessary, add other hot water.
When all cooking liquid is reduced, add parsley.
Stir and turn off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Serve after some minutes.
- - Remember: cooking time depends on your personal taste!
- - For a light and healthy recipe: don't brown artichokes and garlic. Add all ingredients except parsley and olive oil to the pan. In Italy we call it "cottura a freddo". Add parsley and olive oil once turned off the stove at the end of cooking.
- - If you don't like garlic, you can substitute it with fresh chives. In this case the first step is sauteing artichokes in olive oil and then add all other ingredients included chives. Or, if you prefer, follow the above recipe "cottura a freddo"
- - Be careful with the amount of salt: capers are already salty.
- - You can prepare artichokes, Neapolitan-style in advance.
- - Serve sautéed artichokes as side dish to accompany roast or grilled fish or meat. I like very much grilled lamb with this side dish.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here's the page we dedicated to artichokes
- - If you want to serve sautéed artichokes as side dish to accompany roast lamb I suggest to reduce the amount of olive oil. Keep in mind 100g (3 1/2 ounces) boneless lamb have 8.8g of fat without considering the seasoning to cook.
What's the right wine for " Sautéed artichokes, Neapolitan-style "?
Please, don't match wine to artichokes :))