Bruschetta al pomodoro
Italian bruschetta with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes Authentic Italian recipe
Italian tomato bruschetta recipe is well known around the world. To make a tasty bruschetta with chopped tomatoes on the top you'll need few but good-quality ingredients: bread slices from a loaf (possibly without salt), ripe tomatoes, garlic cloves, extra vergin olive oil, salt and pepper and, if liked, some basil leaves. Recipe from Mediterranean diet!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 slices (200g - 7 ounces) Italian loaf
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if desired
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: few minutes
total: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 247 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1036 (kJ)
Protein: 9.0 (g) 18 % GDA
Total fat: 8.8 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 30.2 (g) 12 % GDA
Sugars: 1.1 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (193 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Tomato bruschetta recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare tomatoes.
Wash tomatoes and boil them for 1 minute. In this way you can peel them easily.
Peel tomatoes and remove their seeds.
Drain them very well in order to eliminate their juice. Simply overturn them on a tray.
Then chop tomatoes.
- - Clean the cloves of garlic and halve them.
- - Prepare bread.
Toast both sides of bread slices lightly.
Just before serving
- - Assemble your bruschettas.
On one side of each bread slice, rub garlic.
Brush with olive oil.
Arrange chopped tomatoes.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve warm, preferably.
- - If you want, you can prepare chopped tomatoes without peeling them. But remember to drain them very well. In this case, the preparation time is shorter.
- - If you don't like garlic, you can substitute it with chives and basil or only with chives as you can see on the photo.
- - I have my personal variant to this traditional recipe that I like equally if not more. I prepare tomatoes in advance. I season their flesh with olive oil, salt, chives and let it rest at least thirty minutes. Then I distribute seasoned tomato on toasted slices of bread. Try it and then let me know ;))
- - A variant to classic tomato bruschetta is the traditional afternoon snack my grandmother from Abruzzi was used to make me when I was a child: a slice of bread, a nice ripe tomato to halve and rub on it (no need to toast the bread), a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Ready to eat! and absolutely fantastic :))))
- - "Bruschetta" (Italian toasts) is one of the best solutions for an afternoon snack, to open your meal or to prepare a quick dinner for your family.
- - More details about the second suggestion that is to open your meal. Prepare a classic antipasto platter, Italian-style combining assorted salami and cheeses and acccompany them with some bruschettas.
Another kind of Italian antipasto platter is to prepare assorted bruschettas.
Below there are the links to other bruschetta recipes.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here are the links to other bruschetta recipes: salmon bruschetta, classic Italian bruschetta (garlic bruschetta without tomato)
- - Bruschetta is definitely a healthy food but it hides some problematic issues. Next lines are important only for those who would like to eat bruschettas frequently.
First of all the amount of bread. I remind you that the portion of bread per meal is 50 grams and so calories adding tomato and oil is what you have read in the table that opens this page.
Then focus on toasting bread. Especially if it is customary for you grill your bread, be careful not to let it burn. The negative consequences of this habit on our health have been established very well.
What's the right wine for " Italian bruschetta with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes "?
You can pair the wine to tomato bruschettas according to the other dishes of your menu. I drank bubbles, white and red wines with them and I liked every choice very much.
Rating: 4.5 / vote cast: 4