Il bollito “Ripassato”
Leftover boiled meat stew with tomatoes and herbs Our original home cooking
Have you any boiled meat left? no problem. There is a simple way to re-use boiled meat: stewing the meat in a saucepan together with onions, aromatic herbs and olive oil. This Italian recipe tastes fantastic!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 600g (1 1/3 pounds) boiled meats, cut into slices
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) onion, finely chopped
- 200g (7 ounce) tomato pulp
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli (if you like)
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 15-20 minutes
total: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 466 (kcal) 24 % GDA (*)- 1951 (kJ)
Protein: 58.7 (g) 79 % GDA
Total fat: 24.9 (g) 36 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (82 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for leftover boiled meat
This is the ideal recipe when there are some pieces of boiled meat left (turkey, capon, beef, veal ...). Children often don't like boiled meat but they'll like this recipe very much. It's easy to do and very quick.
Preparation and cooking
- - Put olive oil, bay leaf and onion in a non-stick frying pan.
Let onion fry slightly on a very gentle heat.
Then add tomato pulp and chili, if liked.
Season to taste with salt.
Bring to a boil again and then add meat slices too.
Cook, half-covered and over medium heat until the sauce thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.
- - The last step. A minute before turning off the stove, add chives and parlsey.
Stir and complete the cooking, half-covered.
Just before seving
- - Your boiled meat stew is ready to be served.
- - Serve this boiled meat stewed in aromatic-and-tomato sauce hot with boiled or mashed potatoes (preferably low fat version) or cooked seasonal vegetables. But be careful to plan well your daily menu as you can read below. Links to suggested recipes below!
- - Use fresh chives and parsley when in season.
- - For a more delicate flavor. Replace onion with fresh spring onion.
- - For a healthier dish. Do not fry onion in olive oil. Put all your ingredients in the saucepan, olive oil and aromatic herbs excluded. Cook over a gentle heat until your sauce thickens (15 minutes). Turn off the stove and add olive oil and aromatics. In ths way the olive oil will preserve all its properties.
Useful links for this recipe
- - I calculated the nutrition facts considering veal, boiled and all visible fat removed.
- - Daily menu. As you can see, this recipe is very rich in calories, protein and fat. It is often an illusion that eating meat combined with a vegetable side dish the calorie intake may be lower than eating a pasta dish. Among other things the absence of fibers (only 0.85 g) doesn't help to achieve satiety.
But, please, think about this specific situation. To improve the nutrition facts you need to reduce the amount of meat, the main source of calories, fat and protein. If you use 500g (1.1 pound) leftover meat the calories are reduced to 402, protein to 49g and fat to 22g. It isn't enough, surely, and the amount on your dish is not satisfactory.
And then, what to do? to renounce? it might be one solution. The other solution is planning very well the other daily meals. Prefer vegetables, fruit and food, source of carbohydrates (total carbohydrates are very low) but in the right quantity.
Remember that if you serve the boiled meat stewed in aromatic-and-tomato sauce with a side of mashed potatoes (calculate well calories, fat and protein, please!), you should give up any bread. The amides in this case are already provided by the potatoes.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine you have to add 80-85 kcal per 100 ml.
- - I remember you my original home recipes can be made without salt. There is a combination of flavors that substitutes salt.
What's the right wine for " Leftover boiled meat stew with tomatoes and herbs "?
My husband and I often match Grignolino d'Asti (an Italian red wine from Piedmont ) to this boiled meat stew.
Rating: 4.5 / vote cast: 2