Il bollito “Ripassato”
Leftover boiled meats in saucepan with tomatoes and herbs Our original home cooking
- 600 g (1 1/3 lb) boiled meats, cut into slices
- 50 g onion, finely chopped
- 200 g (7 oz - 1 C) tomato pulp
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Chilli (if you like)
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 15-20 minutes
total: 30 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 466 (kCal) 24 % GDA (*) - 1951 (kJ)
Protein: 58.7 (g) 79 % GDA
Total fat: 24.9 (g) 36 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.1 (g) 3 % GDA
How to use leftover boiled meat
This is the ideal recipe when there are some pieces of boiled meat left (turkey, capon, beef, veal ...). Children often don't like boiled meat but they'll like this recipe very much. It's easy to do and very quick.
Begin the recipe. Put the olive oil, the bay leaf and onion in a non-stick frying pan.
Let the onion fry on a very gentle heat.
Then add the tomato pulp and chili, if liked. Season to taste with salt.
Bring to the boil again and then add the meat slices too.
Cook, covered and over medium heat, for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
The last step. A minute before switching off the gas add the chives and parlsey.
Stir and complete the cooking, half-covered.
Tips and menu planning
- - Serve the boiled meat in aromatic-and-tomato sauce hot with boiled or mashed potatoes (preferably low fat version) or cooked seasonal vegetables. But be careful to plan well your daily menu as you can read below.
- - Use fresh chives and parsley in season.
- - For a more delicate flavor. Substitute the onion with young fresh onion.
- - For an healthier dish. Don't fry the onion in the olive oil. Put all the ingredients in the saucepan except the olive oil and aromatic herbs. Cook over a gentle heat until the sauce thickens (15 minutes). Switch off the gas and add the olive oil and aromatics. In ths way the olive oil will preserve all its properties.
- - I calculated the nutrition facts considering veal, boiled after removing the visible fat.
- - Daily menu. As you can see this recipe is very rich in calories, protein and fat. It is often an illusion that eating meat combined with a vegetable side dish the calorie intake may be lower than eating a pasta dish. Among other things the absence of fibers (only 0.85 g) doesn't help to achieve satiety.
But let's think about this specific situation. To improve the nutrition facts we need to reduce the amount of meat, the main source of calories, fat and protein. If you use 500 g (1.1 lb) leftover meat the calories are reduced to 49 g and fat to 22 g. It isn't enough, surely and the amount on your dish isn't satisfactory.
And then, what to do? to renounce? it might be one solution. The other solution is planning very well the other daily meals. Prefer vegetables, fruit and food source of carbohydrates (total carbohydrates are very low) but in the right quantity.
Remember that if you serve the boiled meat in aromatic-and-tomato sauce with a side of mashed potato (calculate well calories, fat and protein, please!) you should give up any bread. The amides in this case are already provided by the potatoes.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine you have to add 80-85 kCal per 100 ml.
- - I remember you our original home recipes can be made without salt. There is a combination of flavors that substitutes salt. Other no salt recipes ...
What's the right wine for " Il bollito “Ripassato” " ?
Our suggestion is : Grignolino d'Asti (an Italian red wine of Piedmont - Italy).
Greetings from Italy!
If you want to combine this dish with other ones for a complete menu, consult our "Members-only Area".blog comments powered by Disqus