Agnello agli agrumi
Baked lamb in citrus sauce Our original home cooking
Lamb in citrus sauce. Easy-and-quick-to-prepare but tasty recipe. While baking you can prepare other dishes. Recipe suitable for full menus because light and delicate. Lamb is cooked in orange and lemon juice. Our guests like it very much. One of my best recipes, ideal for the Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1.2kg (2 2/3 pounds) leg of lamb
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh young onions
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 90 to 120 minutes
total: 2 h 10 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 247 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*) - 1034 (kJ)
Protein: 40.3 (g) 54 % GDA
Total fat: 8.4 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.6 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.6 (g) 3 % GDA
Recipe for baked lamb in citrus sauce
- - Carve the leg of lamb included its bone, dividing partially it into portions.
Look at the picture for more details.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°C)
- - Clean and chop onions.
- - Squeeze orange and lemon.
- - Pour their juice into a bowl and add olive oil and salt.
Stir very well.
- - Place lamb leg in a baking pan.
- . Sprinkle your lamb with citrus-and-olive-oil emulsion.
- - Add all herbs and onions.
- - Bake for 90 to 120 minutes or until your lamb meat is tender.
Remember to turn lamb and spoon it with the cooking juice now and then.
Just before serving
- - Finish to slice completely the leg of lamb.
- - Place every slice of lamb in a plate and spoon its cooking juice on the top.
- - Serve immediately your lamb hot.
- - You can begin cooking your lamb the day before and complete before serving.
- - We took the photo before baking our leg of lamb.
- - Choose this kind of baked lamb flavored with citrus for your Sunday dinner or for a celebration menu, a birthday dinner or any other important occasion.
Useful links for this recipe
- - The combination between lamb and orange and/or lemon juice is not unusual in Italian cooking. You could be interested in lemon-flavored lamb too. If you want to know more about lamb and orange follow the links to the specific pages in our website dedicated to food and feeding :))
- - Here's the link to the recipe I suggest as side dish in the next paragraph: garlic-and-parsley artichokes.
- - Have you read the nutrition facts of this baked leg of lamb? Apart from the protein, high because the meat is the primary source of protein, calories and fat are quite low compared to other meat dishes. So I suggest it for your Sunday dinner. Sunday is a special day in which you have more time for cooking. This is a quick-to-prepare but slow-cooking recipe.
Accompany baked lamb with seasonal vegetables or potatoes. Garlic-and-parsley artichokes are perfect.
Complete your dinner with 50g (1 3/4 ounce) bread unless you have chosen potatoes as side-dish. Remember you have to eat potatoes or bread!
Plan very well your lunch choosing pasta or rice dressed with vegetable sauces and fruit. If still hungry add some raw seasonal vegetables.
- - This lamb dish is poor in fiber: only 0.3g. The daily recommended value is 30g.
What's the right wine for " Baked lamb in citrus sauce " ?
We generally match Piedirosso (red wine producted near Naples -Campania) to this baked lamb with citrus. But we suggest you other red wines. It's easier to find them abroad. For example Grignolino d'Asti (red wine of Piedmont) or Merlot Lison Pramaggiore (Veneto). We like Merlot of the firm Le Carline that makes its wines with organic grapes. Read more on its Merlot. Its traditional intense bouquet is particularly winy according to our taste. We knew the owner during one of our stay in summer in Caorle (Veneto). We can't but order his best production every year!
Rating: 1/ vote cast: