Anatra con le castagne
Duck with chestnuts Our original home cooking
Duck with chestnuts is a recipe of mine. It's a tasty, nice-to-see main dish. It's a so refined recipe you can choose it for a celebration menu or your Christmas menu if you want to astonish your guests. Recipe ideal for autumn and winter meals. It is a Mediterranean diet recipe for its ingredients and cooking method but not to be eaten frequently.
Ingredienti / Dosi per 6
- 1 1.5kg (3.3 pounds) duck, cut into pieces
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh young onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 dried sage leaf
- 2 orange juice
- 200g (7 ounces) peeled chestnuts
- 400g (14 ounces) peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 little glass of lemon-flavored liqueur (Italian limoncino)
preparation: 20 minutes
plus the time for cutting the duck
cooking: 70 minutes
total: 1 hour 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 434 (kcal) 22 % GDA (*)- 1816 (kJ)
Protein: 44.8 (g) 90 % GDA
Total fat: 21.8 (g) 32 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 14.3 (g) 6 % GDA
Sugars: 9.4 (g) 11 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (120 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for duck with chestnust
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare duck.
Singe duck to be able to remove any remaining feathers more easily.
Cut the duck into pieces. If you are not very experienced ask the butcher to do it.
- - Put in a large pan olive oil, onion, sage and duck pieces.
Let all fry lsightly for few minutes.
Add lemon-flavored liqueur (limoncino) and let it evaporate partially.
At this point add orange juice and tomatoes.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking, half-covered, until your meat is tender and cooking juice is well reduced.
Add boiling vegetable stock (or hot water) only if necessary.
You need about an hour to complete cooking but real time depends on duck quality.
Add chestnuts, chives and parsley 20 minutes before turning off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Serve your duck with chestnusts hot, sprinkled with cooking juice.
- - You can also use frozen chestnuts
- - You can cook this dish some hours ahead.
- - As I have specified before, duck with chestnuts is an elaborated recipe, ideal for your special occasions in fall and winter and certainly not for your every day menu. I think it is very suitable during the Christmas holidays.
- - It is not easy to choose the right dishes to combine to duck with chestnuts. If you want to serve a full Italian menu, I suggest you veal pate accompanied by raw ham as starter, pasta or rice topped with mushrooms as first course and a seasonal dessert to serve after duck dish. Links to recipes in the next paragraph.
- - Choose deep-fried vegetables as side-dish.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here is the recipe for veal pate, that is my tip for starter.
- - I've just suggested a first course in which pasta or rice can be flavored with mushrooms. Follow the link for tagliatelle topped with mushroom sauce and porcini mushroom risotto. Choose your preferred recipe!
- - Finally the recipe for deep-fried vegetables.
What's the right wine for " Duck with chestnuts "?
Pair Rossese di Dolceacqua (red wine from Liguria - Italy) to duck with chestnuts.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1