Tortino di carne e verdure
Italian meat and vegetable cake Our original home cooking
Pork, veal and beef are combined with peppers, eggplant and zucchini in a good dish. If you have guests, you can prepare it in advance and reheat in the oven just before serving. Also ideal for your Christmas menu.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 200g (7 ounces) lean ground beef
- 200g (7 ounces) lean ground pork
- 200g (7 ounces) pork sausage
- 250g (8.8 ounces) zucchini
- 250g (8.8 ounces) red sweet peppers
- 250g (8.8 ounces) eggplants
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 3 eggs
- 125g (4.4 ounces) plus 2 teaspoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 90 minutes
total: 2 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 295 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1233 (kJ)
Protein: 20.0 (g) 40 % GDA
Total fat: 16.6 (g) 24 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 17.8 (g) 7 % GDA
Sugars: 3.8 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (21 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Meat and vegetable cake recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare all vegetables.
Clean and wash red bell peppers. Remove their seeds and quarter them. Dice them.
Clean and wash courgettes. Grate them.
Clean, wash and dice eggplants. Remove their seeds if they are too many.
Slice onion finely.
- - Crumble sausage.
- - Cook all ingredients.
Put 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil in a non-stick frying pan.
Fry slightly onion together with diced aubergines and red bell peppers on a low heat, at least 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add all meat included crumbled sausage and continue cooking, 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add courgettes, season to taste with salt, raise the heat and cook until all cooking juice is well reduced, other 5 minutes.
Let all cool.
- - The last step.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Grease a round baking pan (Ĝ 28 cm - 11") with remaining olive oil and sprinkle a tablespoon of plain dried breadcrumbs.
Transfer your meat and vegetable mixture into a bowl.
Beat eggs, season to taste with salt and add them to the mixture together with 125g (4.4 ounces) of plain dried breadcrumbs.
Stir very well.
Add other plain dried breadcrumbs, if the mixture is too soft.
Spoon this mixture into the baking pan, level its surface, sprinkle the last tablespoon of plain dried breadcrumbs and sesame seeds on the top.
Bake until cake surface is golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Wait for 10 minutes, slice and serve.
- - If you have some terrine left, don't worry! Warm it up the day after: it tastes fantastic!
- - You can substitute fresh aromatic herbs with dried ones in cold month.
- - In cold months, when you can't find zucchini, sweet peppers and eggplants, you can replace them with a pack of frozen vegetables (450g - 1 pound) or 1 to 2 cans vegetables in oil.
- - You can serve it as appetizers, cubed.
It is a main dish too, especially for your special event menus,Christmas included.
It is a perfect choice for meal, buffet-style.
Useful links for this recipe
- - The perfect side dish for the terrine is "white salad": fennels, white grapes and toasted cashews seasoned with salt, olive oil and honey. Fantastic!
- - Choose this dish made with meat and vegetables for your celebration menus, Sunday meal and Christmastime. It is not rich in calories but elaborated.
I also remember that red meat should be consumed in moderation for healthy eating.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.1 grams
What's the right wine for " Italian meat and vegetable cake "?
My husband and I uncork a bottle of Barbera from Monferrato (bright red wine from Piedmont - Italy).
Service temperature : 16-18°C
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1