Arrosto di maiale in gelatina
Pot-roast pork with spinach filling in jelly Our original home cooking
This pot-roast pork loin has a spinach-and-mortadella filling and then, as you can see, is put in jelly too. It is a cold dish ideal for your summer menus included meals, buffet-style. Nice to see and tasty! This recipe has to be prepared in two steps. First, you have to prepare pot-roast pork loin, then to make jelly and refrigerate your meat. The ideal thing would be to cook pork loin one day and complete your recipe the day after.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) boned loin of pork, in a slice
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) frozen spinach
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) Italian mortadella
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cup) red wine
- 500ml (1 pint - 2 cups) jelly
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Pepper, if desired
- Kitchen string
preparation: 30 minutes
plus refrigeration period
cooking: 90 minutes
total: 2 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 328 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1371 (kJ)
Protein: 30.7 (g) 62 % GDA
Total fat: 21.7 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.0 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.3 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (149 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for pot-roast pork loin with spinach filling in jelly
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare spinach.
Thaw frozen spinach directly in a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon water.
Cook, half-covered, over a medium heat until cooking juice is very well reduced.
Season to taste with salt and let it cool.
- - Prepare rolled loin of pork.
Open the slice of loin of pork over the work surface.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon dried chives.
Season to taste with salt (remember the presence of mortadella).
Arrange mortadella slices and then spinach and marjoram.
Roll meat slice and tie with kitchen string at 2,5 cm (1 in) intervals.
- - Cook loin of pork.
Put meat in a saucepan with the remaining olive oil.
Brown it on all sides.
Then pour in wine and allow to evaporate a little.
After few minutes add some hot water.
Continue cooking over gentle heat, half-covered, turning your meat now and then, until it is tender.
You need an hour and a half.
If necessary, add other water.
- - The last step.
Let yoour pot-roast loin of pork cool for a night.
In this way you can slice it easier.
Prepare jelly adding white vinegar too.
Cut loin of pork in slices 1.5cm (1/2in) thick.
Arrange them on a deep dish.
Pour in your warm jelly.
Chill for some hours before serving.
Just before serving
- - Take your dish away from the fridge at least 15 minutes before serving.
- - I made this recipe with veal meat too. It is very tasty even in this version.
- - Obviously you can make a simple pot-roast pork loin with its stuffing and taste it without any jelly. Its warm version in other words, ideal for winter ;)
- - You can accompany this dish with boiled potatoes dressed with oil, vinegar and chives or with seasonal green salad or with other vegetables according to your taste.
- - This is a tasty cold dish for a summer lunch or dinner. But it can also be a right solution for a meal, buffet-style. In this case you have to obtain little slices in order not to create embarrassment in your guests. Remember buffet courses have to be realized in little tidbits!
- - Here's a full menu for your summer get-togethers, Italian-style. Links to suggested recipes below, in the next paragraph.
Aperitif that substitutes classical Italian antipasto. Prepare pizza cut in pieces or mini pizzas and serve them while your guests are waiting for sitting at table. Match the same wine chosen for your menu. For a faster recipe use ready-to-bake pizza dough.
First course. In summer cold pasta or rice salad are perfect. Consult our pages dedicated to these summer dishes but I suggest you especially pasta salad with beans or rice salad with hot red salsa, Piedmontese-style.
Second course: this pot-roast pork accompanied by side-dishes suggested above.
Dessert. An ice-cream cake or vanilla ice-cream topped with hot chocolate.
Match Corvo rosa (wine of Sicily) or other rosé wines according to your taste.
Useful links for this recipe
- - I begin with pizza directory. You'll be able to find a lot of pizza dough recipes and topping with different ingredients.
- - Now it's the turn of first courses. I prefer to link the index page for pasta salad and rice salad so you can have more choice. You'll find mentioned recipes and many others.
- - Interested in more details about suggested wine? Corvo Rosa
- - This pot-roast pork in jelly is not a low-calorie dish, so be careful to choose your side dish if you prepare it for your family dinner menu. You should accompany your portion of pork with 40g (1 1/2 ounce) of bread and a green seasonal salad dressed with a teaspoon of oil and vinegar according to your taste. (Daily calorie needs=2000 kcal)
- - Fiber per serving: 0.5g. Very low!
What's the right wine for " Pot-roast pork with spinach filling in jelly "?
My husband and I prefer Bonarda (red wine from Lombardy - Italy) with this pot-roast pork but the choice of wine depends on full menu too ;)
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1