Stuffed roast beef roll Authentic Italian recipe from Sicily
Looking for new veal recipe ideas? What about a tasty rolled roast veal filled with bacon, fresh sausage, fresh ewe's cheese (pecorino) and aromatic herbs? It's a traditional recipe from Sicily called farsumagru in Sicilian dialect.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) breast of veal in a large slice
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) minced veal
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh sausage
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) bacon, sliced
- 55g (2 ounces) fresh ewe's cheese (pecorino)
- 2 fresh young onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 250ml (8 1/2 flui ounces - 1cup) red wine
- 1l (2.1 pints - 4 1/4 cup) meat stock
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 45 minutes
cooking: about 90 minutes
total: 140 minutes
medium difficulty recipe
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 481 (kcal) 25 % GDA (*) - 2012 (kJ)
Protein: 48.9 (g) 66 % GDA
Total fat: 29.7 (g) 43 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.4 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.4 (g) 2 % GDA
Remove peel from sausage and crumble its meat with a fork. Cut ewe's cheese into flakes. In a large saucepan pour in extra virgin olive oil together with onions and fry lightly them without browning. Add minced veal and crumbled sausage and cook for few minutes in order to flavour all the ingredients. Remove the mixture from the pan with a skimming ladle and put apart.
Put the slice of veal on the work surface. If it is too thick, cut it crossways to enlarge. Beat meat with a meat pounder to flatten it. Season to taste with salt. Arrange bacon slices, ewe's cheese, garlic and meat mixture on the veal slice. Shell hard-boiled eggs and cut crossways; put egg slices on the stuffing. Season to taste with salt. Roll the veal slice up on itself tightly and bind with kitchen string at one-inch intervals.
Put your rolled veal in the same pan in which you have flavoured sausage and minced veal and let it fry lightly in the olive oil. Pour in red wine, let it evaporate partially and then add boiling meat stock. Keep on cooking on a medium heat, half-covered, until meat is soft. Remember to turn rolled meat now and then. Cooking time is about an hour. Add other meat stock, if necessary.
Let rolled roast veal cool lightly and then cut crossways. Arrange slices on a serving platter and serve with the warm cooking juices.
- - You can accompany this dish with a seasonal green salad or potatoes.
- - You can vary the stuffing according to your taste. You coud substitute bacon with raw ham; you could add peas; you could substitute garlic with aromatic herbs.
What's the right wine for " Stuffed roast beef roll " ?
Corvo Rosso (red Sicilian wine).
Rating: 1/ vote cast:
Greetings from Italy!blog comments powered by Disqus