Carrè di vitello al forno alla melagrana
Rib roast with pomegranate Our original home cooking
Veal rib is a particular cut of meat, expensive unfortunately, but, in my opinion, very suitable when we have guests and have to celebrate important events. I also find it invaluable in Christmas parties. Meanwhile, because this meat cut is excellent. Then you can prepare it quickly and cook in the oven while you spend time on other dishes. But I prefer not to cook it, wrapped in bacon, as we can often read in recipes. Try my version with pomegranate, grapefruit and lime juice. A true goodness that will amaze your guests =_^
Ingredients / Serves 10
- 2kg (4.4 pounds) veal rib
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) shallots
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 350g (12 1/3 ounces) pomegranate
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 2 hours
total: 2 hours 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 280 (kcal) 14 % GDA (*)- 1170 (kJ)
Protein: 32.4 (g) 65 % GDA
Total fat: 14.2 (g) 21 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 6.0 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 6.0 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (85 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Veal rib roast recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Seed your pomegranate removing all its yellow pith.
This is definitely the longest step.
Set aside a few seeds to garnish and extract juice from others.
To do it more quickly, you can blend seeds and then filter everything through a sieve.
Or you can put pomegranate seeds through a food mill.
- - Squeeze your grapefruit and lime.
- - Chop shallots finely.
- - Put olive oil and shallots in a baking dish that can also be used on the stove.
Place your veal rib with rosemary sprig in the baking dish.
- - Fry slightly your meat over medium heat on all sides, being careful not to brown shallots.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Add pomegranate, grapefruit and lime juice.
Season to taste with salt and bake until your meat is tender, about 90 minutes.
Remember to turn meat occasionally and keep it wet with cooking liquid.
Just before turning off the stove, add pomegranate seeds too.
Just before serving
- - Cut veal rib into slices.
- - Serve every slice sprinkled with cooking juice.
- - Generally, the butcher prepares the rib already tied up with its sprig of rosemary.
- - You can prepare this veal rib recipe some hours ahead or the day before.
Warm it up just before serving.
- - I tried to warm up my veal rib roast with pomegranate several times with good result. It can happen at Christmas parties when you prepare many dishes ;))
- - You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days if left.
- - If I have some pieces left, I also freeze them, well covered with cooking juice, up to one month.
- - Do not worry if you have a lot of cooking juice. You need it for sprinkling every slice on the serving platter and preserving it if left.
- - This veal rib roast with pomegranate is a great dish for a full menu. You can combine every classic Italian antipasto and many first courses.
Therefore it is ideal during Christmas holidays and in winter when you can find fresh pomegranates and have to celebrate special events.
The main advantage of the recipe is that it is not fat and so you eat it willingly together with many other courses.
- - Its portions are approximate. The number 10 is an average value that depends a lot on your guests and how rich is your menu.
- - My recipe for this veal rib roast with pomegranate has a limited number of calories and fat for the fact that the only dressing is olive oil, in a limited quantity with respect to the portions. This is one of the advantages that you have in cooking meat with fruit ;))
- - Fiber per serving: 1.2 grams.
What's the right wine for " Rib roast with pomegranate "?
My husband and I have the habit to pair the bubbles of Prosecco di Conegliano Valdobbiadene (wine from Veneto - Italy) to my rib roast with pomegranate. We prefer the wine produced by Le Carline. It is perfect to match a full menu from antipasto to dessert.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2