Zuppa di fave
Soup with broad beans Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 3
- 450g (1 pound) frozen broad beans
- 2 leeks (about 400g - 14 ounces)
- 1 fresh young onion
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can cherry tomatoes
- 80g (2.8 ounces) raw ham
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: about 40 minutes
total: about an hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 192 (kcal) 10 % GDA (*)- 802 (kJ)
Protein: 15.6 (g) 32 % GDA
Total fat: 8.5 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 13.8 (g) 6 % GDA
Sugars: 11.7 (g) 13 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (152 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for soups with broad beans
Preparation and cooking
- - Remove the green outside leaves from leeks and trim its end.
Clean the onion.
Chop the onion and leeks finely.
- - Put them in a saucepan together with olive oil and bay leaf.
- - Saute on low heat, stirring frequently.
- - Add the cherries tomatoes with their preservation juice.
Let the tomatoes flavor for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- - Now pour in about 800ml (1 2/3 pint - 3 1/3 cups) warm water.
Bring to the boil.
- - At this pont add frozen broad beans and from the moment in which the soup begins boiling again, cook for about 20 to 30 minutes or until broad beans are tender and your soup has got the right thickness.
- - In the last minutes of cooking add raw ham, cut into thin strips, and chives.
- - Season to taste with salt and turn off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Let your soup rest for few minutes.
- - Meanwhile wash and pat dry basil leaves.
- - Chop your basil leaves by hand and add to the soup.
- - Your soup with broad beans is ready!
- - This soup is very tasty if you serve it with toasted slices of bread.
- - You can also use fresh broad beans.
In this case you have to buy 900g (2 pounds) of broad beans in the pod.
- - If you like healthy eating follow our tip: simmer the onion and leeks in some water, add the tomatoes and other ingredients according to our previous directions. Once turned off the stove add the olive oil and stir. So the olive oil will preserve all its fantastic nutritive properties! It tastes fantastic in the same way!
- - This soup with broad beans is perfect for your daily menu. After this soup you can serve a baked omelette. Test our baked omelette with aromatic herbs. Complete your meal with a little portion of bread.
- - This soup with broad beans is low in calories and therefore can be associated with other dishes in your dinner.
I have already given you my tips for a full menu.
- - I suggest this soup with broad beans for dinner and remind you that in this meal your calorie intake should be about 500-600 (25-30% of energy). Obviously all this applies to a person with a daily energy intake of 2000 calories if he divides them between 5 micromeals per day.
- - Broad beans like all legumes should not be associated with the meat because they are already rich in protein. In this case, however, the portion of meat is really low and therefore the total protein is acceptable. Even if you associate another dish but it must be low in protein.
- - This soup with broad beans has a fiber content of 8.6 grams (your daily requirement should be 23 grams).
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 calories per 100ml.
- - I remember you our original home recipes can be made without salt. There is always a combination of flavors that substitutes salt.
- - If you are interested in other Italian recipes or new ideas help yourselves with the green bar on the top of this page. Follow index, appetizers, main dish, side-dishes, desserts, sauces, menu
What's the right wine for " Soup with broad beans "?
Carlo and I usually pair our soup with broad beans with Lambrusco (wine of Emilia Romagna in Italy). This sparkling wine is perfect for broad beans so rich in carbohydrates. Another choice could be Cirò Rosa (rosé wine of Calabria).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1