Parmesan ice-cream ( Gelato di Parmigiano )
Authentic Italian recipe
Parmesan ice-cream is a tasty Italian starter. Serve it cold especially in summer. It is an unusual way to eat Parmesan cheese. To make Parmesan ice-cream you'll need few ingredients: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, single cream, salt and pepper. Below the recipe!
time: 45 minutes
calories: 474 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 500ml (1 pint - 2 cups) single cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
24 % -
Protein: 18.7 (g) 38 % GDA
Total fat: 43.2 (g) 62 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.8 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 2.8 (g) 4 % GDA
plus cooling time
cooking: no cooking
total: 45 minutes
Download free PDF version (330 download).
Parmesan ice-cream recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Put Parmesan, salt and pepper in a saucepan.
- - Add cream too, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- - Cook your mixture in bain-marie until well fluffy, whipping with a whisk continuously.
- - Remove from heat and pass your mixture through a sieve.
- - Put in your ice-cream freezer and follow instructions to do an ice-cream.
Just before serving
- - Serve your Parmesan ice-cream cold.
- - You can serve Parmesan ice-cream whole or cut into slices.
- - You can serve Parmesan ice-cream in different ways. It may be a main dish for your family. In this case accompany it with seasonal salad or raw vegetables and a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounces).
- - Parmesan ice-cream can be a starter in your special occasion menu. Serve it in antipasto platter combined with ham, hard-boiled eggs or boiled, steamed fish.
- - It may be a cheese course at the end of a lunch for a special occasion; in this case you needn't prepare a cake. Your lunch may finish with fresh fruits.
Don't choose this dish for dinner. Remember: no cheese at dinner according to good manners at table.
- - In both last cases the doses are sufficient for much more than 4 pesrone, at least 10.
- - This is a recipe rich in fat. Don't eat it too much and too often!
If you like it and want to prepare it for your family lunch, as I've just written, accompany Parmesan ice-cream with seasonal salad or raw vegetables and be careful planning the other meal. Choose pasta and vegetables.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 calories per 100ml.
- - I remember you my original home recipes can be made without salt. There is always a combination of flavors that substitutes salt. To browse the site, look closely at the navigation bar. For Italian food color is green and the home page is "Italian cooking".
What's the right wine for " Parmesan ice-cream "?
My husband and I generally match Parmesan ice cream with Italian "Prosecco"