How to dress black & green olives, Italy-style ( Olive verdi e nere condite piccanti )
Authentic Italian recipe
Olives in brine: how to make them taste better? There are a lot of ways to dress them. This is the method to have spicy olives. You'll need: green and black olives, garlic, fresh onions, oregano, chilli, white vinegar, olive oil, salt. The best for your Italian antipasto platter or your happy hour! Another recipe according to Mediterranean style? Olives, Madrid-style. The link to this recipe below.
time: 10 minutes
calories: 203 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) green pickled olives
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) black pickled olives
- 2 garlic cloves
- 80g (2.8 ounces) spring fresh onions
- Red chilli pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- White vinegar
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
11 % -
Protein: 1.2 (g) 3 % GDA
Total fat: 21.7 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
cooking: no cooking
total: 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (178 download).
Spicy olive recipe
- - Drain olives very well from their preserving juice without mixing them.
- - Put them in two bowls according to their colour.
- - Season green olives with a pinch of oregano, little pieces of red chilli pepper (according to your taste), 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, a garlic clove and a sprinkle of vinegar.
Stir accurately, taste and add other salt only if necessary.
- - Season black olives with the other garlic clove, pieces of red chilli pepper, whole onions (if you don’t find very little fresh onions, slice finely onions you’ve bought) and remaining olive oil.
Stir very well, taste and add other salt only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Let them marinate half a day in a cool place before serving.
- - You can also prepare marinated olives the day before.
- - It’s a very tasty Italian antipasto but you can serve them in a cocktail party or in a meal, buffet-style too.
In Italy we are used to enjoy happy hour that is aperitivo. Think of these olives matched to the drinks suggested below ;))
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could be interested in another way to dress black and green olives, Mediterranean-style that is olives, Madrid-style.
- - It serves 4 in a single-course antipasto but if you combine this recipe with other ones it serves more people.
- - I didn't considered fresh onions and garlic in the total calories; the amount of onion is irrilevant and garlic cloves are added only for seasoning the dish.