Anchovies in green sauce ( Alici in salsa verde )
Authentic Italian recipe
Anchovies in green sauce is a typical Italian cold antipasto. You can combine this dish with other fish finger food to have an assorted antipasto platter. Boil anchovies for 2 minutes and then dress with an aromatic sauce. It's very tasty but you have to use very fresh fish. The best seasons are summer and winter. Typical recipe from Mediterranean diet.
time: 35 minutes
calories: 151 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 500g (1.1 pound) fresh anchovies
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of oregano
- Bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 20 capers in vinegar
- 4 or 5 anchovy fillets in oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
8 % -
Protein: 17.5 (g) 35 % GDA
Total fat: 8.2 (g) 12 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.1 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.1 (g) 3 % GDA
cooking: 5 minutes
total: 35 minutes
Download free PDF version (174 download).
Recipe for anchovies in green sauce
Preparation and cooking
- - Remove entrails from anchovies and wash them under cold running water.
Put them in boiling water and cook, 2 minutes, together with bay leaf and oregano.
Drain anchovies and let them cool.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare green sauce.
Chop parsley together with garlic cloves, capers and anchovy fillets in oil.
Dilute chopped ingredients with lemon juice and olive oil.
- - The last step.
At this point remove head and bones from anchovies and arrange fillets on a deep serving plate.
Spoon green sauce on the top.
Just before serving
- - Chill until serving but remember to remove from the fridge 15 minutes before serving.
- - Add no salt to anchovies. Among the ingredients there are capers and anchovy fillets in oil that are already salted.
- - It’s a tasty appetizer (serve them together with other fish food) or a second course. If you serve this dish as appetizer it serves more people.
What's the right wine for " Anchovies in green sauce "?
The best choice is a white wine such as Colli Albani (wine from Lazio - Italy).