Rolled stuffed rabbit ( Coniglio ripieno )
Our original home cooking
This rolled stuffed rabbit I propose is done with a rabbit, boned and then stuffed with frittatas, porchetta and herbs. It can be cooked in two different ways: baked or in a pan. Very good. Ideal for children in winter when you have something to celebrate or for formal or semiformal menus because this rabbit has no bones to nibble! It can be prepared in advance too.
time: 1 h 30 minutes
calories: 402 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1 (900g - 2 pounds) boned rabbit
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) Italian "porchetta", sliced, or unsmoked bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- A sprig of rosemary
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) little young onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces- 1 1/4 cups) beer, if you prefer baking
- Kitchen string
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 39.0 (g) 78 % GDA
Total fat: 26.6 (g) 39 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.8 (g) 2 % GDA
cooking: about an hour
total: 1 h 30 minutes
Download free PDF version (195 download).
Recipe for stuffed boned rabbit
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare 2 omelettes (Italian frittatas) with all eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, little young onions and salt.
Let them cool.
- - Wash and chop finely sage, rosemary and eventually fresh thyme.
- - Salt the inner surface of your rabbit and sprinkle with dried and fresh herbs.
Then arrange porchetta (or bacon) slices and your omelettes.
- - Roll as neatly as possible and tie with the kitchen string.
- - Your rabbit is ready for cooking in a saucepan or in the oven.
In the saucepan:
brown your stuffed rabbit in the remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)
turn it over so that it colours evenly on all sides,
douse with a glass of wine and let it evaporate
season to taste with salt
add a glass of warm water and continue cooking, half-covered, on a low flame adding other warm water if necessary.
When the meat is tender, let cooking juice reduce very well.
In the oven:
preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
put the stuffed rabbit in a baking tin with olive oil and beer
bake for about an hour or until meat is tender dousing your rabbit with its cooking juice frequently.
You have to prefer this second cooking method only if you like baked meat.
Just before serving
- - Serve your stuffed rabbit sliced and sprinkled with its cooking juice.
- - Buy your rabbit already boned unless you are able to make this step.
- - Prepare your rabbit dish in advance so you let it cool down and then you can cut it into slices easily.
Put the slices back into the pan ready to be heated just before serving. The meat will be softer and more beautiful to see.
- - My husband took this photo when my stuffed rabbit was still whole to let you see better how to prepare it.
- - As I have just written I find this stuffed rabbit perfect when I have someone to celebrate at home especially when there are kids. For this reason I created a menu for our children around this recipe. All the children who ate this recipe of mine were very fond of it. All links below!
In the same way you can prepare it when you have guests for a formal occasion because it never creates problems and is soft and tasty.
For such an occasion prefer to cook it in the pan that has fewer surprises.
I chose this stuffed boned rabbit for an Easter menu too.
- - Accompany your stuffed rabbit with potatoes or seasonal green salad or seasonal stewed vegetables.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Don't choose this stuffed rabbit for your daily menu, it's too rich in fat and protein. I made this recipe thinking of a special occasion and so the amount of meat is greater than the recommendeded one by nutritionists. In the same way I stuffed my rabbit with eggs and porchetta rich in fat. If I cook for a special occasion I don't think of calories, total fat, sugar ...
- - If you want to eat a plate of low-calorie-and-fat rabbit you have to cook it in a skillet with a little seasoning and herbs or to boil and then season with a little oil.
Among other things, boiled rabbit is very good and delicate, ideal for children as long as you serve them its thigh, thus eliminating the problem of many small bones ;)
- - Rabbit has only 70% of edible portion considered all its bones and then when you buy it you can count 160g (5.6 ounces) per person if you want to follow the recommended portion of meat per person.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.4 grams.
What's the right wine for " Rolled stuffed rabbit "?
My husband and I always choose Cirò Rosa (rosé wine of Calabria) to pair to my stuffed rabbit.