Cockerel with mushrooms ( Galletto ai funghi )
Our original home cooking
Cockerel (or poussin for you?) accompanied with fresh mushrooms is a tasty main course you can prepare for your family. Generally, I do not recommend it for your special occasions seeing its many ossicles. Choose mushrooms very carefully. If you find porcino mushrooms (penny ben), you'll have the best result but this dish is tasty even with white mushrooms or frozen assorted mushrooms. Recipe for your Mediterranean diet.
time: 1 hour 20 minutes
calories: 424 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 80g (2.8 ounces) young new onions or a little onion
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (1 tablespoon if dried)
- 2 cockerels or 1 chicken (1000g - 2.2 pounds)
- 400g (14 ounces) tomato pulp
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1000g (2.2 pounds) fresh mushrooms
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 20-40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
22 % -
Protein: 44.4 (g) 89 % GDA
Total fat: 24.0 (g) 35 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 7.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.0 (g) 6 % GDA
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour 20 minutes
Download free PDF version (130 download).
Recipe for cockerel stew with mushrooms
- - Clean mushrooms removing any lumps of earth and other impurities with the tip of a knife blade.
Brush off grit and dirt with a toothbrush.
Do not rinse them with running water; you could loose their delicate taste!
The right choice is to moisten some absorbent kitchen paper and clean them accurately.
Slide them lengthways.
- - Chop onion finely.
- - Halve cockerels or portion your chicken.
- - Put olive oil, onion, thyme, bay leaf and meat in a saucepan.
Fry all these ingredients slightly, on medium heat. Be careful meat pieces brown on all sides.
- - Pour in wine and let it evaporate partially, turning your meat at least once.
- - Add tomatoes and let all flavor, a few minutes.
- - Add mushrooms too, season with salt to taste and continue cooking on very low heat.
Simmer, half-covered, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon 30 to 40 minutes.
If necessary, you could add some more water.
Just before serving
- - Stop cooking when the sauce is well reduced and cockerel meat is tender.
- - Just before turning off the stove, add parsley and stir.
- - Serve your cockerel sitll hot.
- - If you don't find fresh mushrooms, you can also use frozen ones (600g - 1 1/3 pound).
- - Cockerel stew with mushrooms is ideal for your family dinner, especially in autumn if you prefer to use fresh ingredients.
Accompany this one pot meal with a serving of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounces) and close with fresh seasonal fruit.
Useful links for this recipe
- - This recipe for cockerel is rich in protein because the amount of meat is higher than the recommended dose. Therefore it would be better to eat a dish of pasta or rice dressed with vegetable sauce at lunch.
What's the right wine for " Cockerel with mushrooms "?
Bardolino, an Italian red wine from Venetia, is ideal to pair to cockerel stew.