Baked sea bass
Spigola al forno
Our original home cooking
Baked sea bass is a very delicate and tasty dish that can be served in a lot of different occasions. Its firm flesh with few bones so large to be easily removable is also suitable for children. Here I'm going to tell you about the baked version but you can also boil it in a court-bouillon.
time: 40 minutes
calories: 223 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 1 600g (1 1/3 pound) sea bass
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces) white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
12 % -
Protein: 26.7 (g) 54 % GDA
Total fat: 12.4 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.0 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.0 (g) 2 % GDA
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 40 minutes
Download free PDF version (163 download).
Baked sea bass recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean sea bass.
Using a fish scaler or back of a large knife, scrape its scales off, from the tail towards the head, on both sides.
Slit its underside from gills to rear vent with scissors.
You may cut off its head, if you wish.
Pull out stomach contents.
Wash it under running water carefully.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°C).
- - Arrange your cleaned sea bass in an oven dish with all ingredients.
Remember to put little aromatic herbs inside the fish too.
Season to taste with salt, inside included.
- - Bake in the oven until you can remove fins easily, about 30 minutes.
Turn your fish over at least once.
Just before serving
- - Finally, remove skin from fish and fillet it, discarding all its bones.
Place sea bass fillets in every dinner plate and serve at once.
- - If you prepare this sea bass recipe for your children, do not use wine but wrap it in aluminum. Cooking in foil is much better for them.
- - Accompany baked sea bass with a green salad. The best would be a mixture of corn salad and rocket dressed with olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar. Another choice I like very much is confit tomatoes and olives as you can see in the photo. And what about potatoes?
- - Sea bass has refined and firm flesh that is well suited for a only-fish full menu. Among other things, it is also very easy to clean!
- - Prepare it according to seasonality determined by its reproductive cycle. Slow Food suggests spring, summer and autumn.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in tomato confit recipe?
- - Sea bass, as long as very fresh, is also consumed raw. I am always quite contrary to the consumption of raw fish but I saw it served as carpaccio in many restaurants. Having to prepare it at home I'd choose the more traditional cooking methods: on the grill or in the oven as in this case.
- - Lately, I find it rarely caught. On the contrary it is more and more common as farmed fish. Remember that the essential difference is in the amount of fat that bred specimens accumulate more easily.
- - No fiber in this dish.
What's the right wine for " Baked sea bass "?
Pair a white wine to baked sea bass such as Lugana (wine from North of Italy).