Strawberry risotto with speck ( Risotto alle fragole e speck)
Our original home cooking
I thought of risotto with strawberries and speck after creating guinea fowl stuffed with cherries, speck and couscous. It was at that moment that I thought I would also combine strawberries with speck and my intuition was really right. This combination is delicious and my risotto is just fantastic. It may be an ideal dish for your family menu in spring or summer when you want to do something different but it is interesting even if you are planning a full menu for a special occasion.
time: 40 minutes
calories: 448 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 160g (5.6 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 1 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) ripe but firm strawberries
- 30g (1 ounce) speck, in thin slices
- Some sprigs fresh chives
- 800ml (1 2/3 pint - 3 1/3 cups) water
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) sparkling wine or Prosecco
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
23 % -
Protein: 12.7 (g) 26 % GDA
Total fat: 13.7 (g) 20 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 73.1 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 8.3 (g) 10 % GDA
cooking: 25 minutes
total: 40 minutes
Download free PDF version (69 download).
Recipe for strawberry risotto with speck
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare broth for risotto.
Put half of your leek in the risotto pan together with olive oil and remaining leek in the pan for broth.
Add cold water and salt in the pan for broth and bring to a boil.
- - Begin cooking risotto.
Sauté leek in olive oil on very low heat.
Add rice and let it fry slightly on very low heat until milky.
Pour in sparkling wine avoiding any foam.
Let wine evaporate on medium heat.
Add a couple of ladles of broth, leek included.
Continue cooking adding broth only if necessary.
- - Meanwhile ...
Cut speck into strips.
Clean and wash strawberries.
Pat dry them with absorbent kitchen paper.
Set aside a couple of whole strawberries and reduce remaining part to puree.
Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - A couple of minutes before turning off the stove add strawberry puree.
Once turned off the stove, add speck and chives, cut into little pieces.
Stir with delicacy.
Taste to determine if your risotto needs added salt.
Just before serving
- - Transfer your risotto in individual plates.
Garnish with whole strawberries put apart.
Serve at once!
- - If you want to garnish individual plates with slices of bacon, rolled up as you see in our photo, you have to buy a larger quantity of bacon, but the values of calories and fat are going to increase.
- - You can also cut whole strawberries into small pieces and add them to your risotto when still hot instead of garnishing dishes. It's really delicious!
- - Calculate well your servings. This risotto is delicious but shouldn't be heated because it would lose a lot in flavor.
- - As I've written at the beginning of this page this risotto with strawberries and speck can be prepared for your family menu but it may be a tasty dish too if you have to plan a full menu for special occasions. It's perfect for a a ceremony if you celebrate at home, for example. In this case, you can double suggested servings, without any problem.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Curious after reading about guinea fowl filled with cherries, speck and couscous? go and have a look!
- - You could also be interested in classic strawberry risotto in which there is only strawberries and seasoning.
- - Here are some useful tips for when you choose to prepare this risotto for your everyday menu.
This risotto with strawberries and speck has a medium calorie content that doesn't allow, however, to add a second course based on meat or fish if you want to stay within calories for lunch. Among other things, you should always prefer rice or pasta for lunch. To complete your meal: add only seasonal vegetables and fresh fruit.
- - Of course, you can prepare this risotto using stock cubes although I personally do not recommend it. Natural and healthy kitchen banishes everything that contains preservatives and chemicals. And this is a more valid concept if you have children.
- - Fiber per serving: 4.1 grams
What's the right wine for " Strawberry risotto with speck "?
The first time I made this delicate risotto I had at home a bottle of sparkling wine made by Riccadonna but I don't know if you can find it outside Italy. So I suggest Prosecco or, much better, Prosecco of Conegliano-Valdobbiadene Spumante (Veneto). My husband and I have an organic firm to suggest: Le Carline. Its Prosecco produced in Veneto is the best for us :))
You can cook your risotto with Prosecco and pair the same wine at table.