Béchamel sauce ( Salsa besciamella )
Traditional recipe of béchamel sauce, useful for baked vegetable and pasta recipes. We are going to teach you how to make a tasty béchamel sauce in two different ways.
time: 30 minutes
calories: 149 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) all-purpose flour
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1 cup) full cream milk
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) unsalted butter
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 10-15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
8 % -
Protein: 3.2 (g) 7 % GDA
Total fat: 10.7 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 10.8 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 3.2 (g) 4 % GDA
cooking: 20 minutes
total: 30 minutes
Download free PDF version (162 download).
First classical recipe of béchamel sauce
Melt flour in cold milk in a little saucepan; you have to avoid to do lumps. A suggestion could be to use a whisk (blender). Add butter, cut into little pieces; season to taste with salt and begin cooking over a very low flame. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until your sauce thickens.
Second classical recipe of béchamel sauce
Let milk warm up.
Meanwhile melt butter in a little saucepan over a very low flame. Add white flour using a strainer and stir accurately with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth cream without lumps. At this point pour it into hot milk, little by little, stirring continuously. Keep on cooking and stirring until your sauce thickens. Switch off the flame, add nutmeg and season to taste with salt; stir. The sauce is ready.
- - If you don't use this sauce immediately, you can spread a piece of butter on the top. This trick is useful to preserve it better.
- - If you want to prepare not a thick béchamel, you have to dilute milk. In this case you have to use 200 ml water with 200 ml milk.
- - You can modify this recipe adding, when you have switched off the flame, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan and an egg yolk. If you add single cream (light cream) you have Mornay sauce.
- - You can use yogurt instead of butter; in this way you have a light version of bechamel sauce.
- - Remember: the most famous Italian dish with béchamel sauce is Bolognaise lasagna!