Tomatoes filled with assorted vegetables
Pomodori ripieni di verdure
Our original home cooking
Tomatoes stuffed with vegetables are very easy to do. You only need frozen vegetables for soup and some aromatic herbs. Little work for a light vegetarian dinner for example. My only advice is to prepare them early in the morning when you can still cook easily. Heated, are even tastier but you can also eat them cold. They can be a recipe idea for your get-togethers in summer too. Read other details below.
time: 1 hour
calories: 92 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 big-sized, ripe but firm tomatoes
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) assorted, frozen vegetables
- 2 tablespoons puréed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar, if you like
- 1 tablespoon plain dried breadcrumbs
- easy recipe
- Time: preparation: 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
5 % -
Protein: 3.3 (g) 7 % GDA
Total fat: 3.2 (g) 5 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 12.8 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 6.1 (g) 7 % GDA
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1 hour
Download free PDF version (178 download).
Recipe for tomatoes filled with vegetables
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash tomatoes accurately, cut a cap off the top of them and scoop out their seeds and part of their flesh with a teaspoon (you can add this flesh to your filling, if you want).
Salt and turn them upside down on a platter to let them drip (at least 30 minutes).
- - Meanwhile ...
... pour frozen assorted vegetables into a pan with abundant, salted boiling water.
Bring to a boil again and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Drain them very well and put in a little bowl.
Add puréed tomatoes, aromatic herbs, vinegar and olive oil.
Stir and taste; add salt only if necessary.
Put this mixture apart.
- - Just before baking.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, wet and wrung.
Fill tomatoes with vegetable mixture, place them on baking sheet aand sprinkle with plain dried breadcrumbs.
- - Baking.
Bake for about 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Serve vegetable-stuffed tomatoes lukewarm or cold, depending on your taste.
- - This is a do-ahead dish. You can prepare filled tomatoes in advance and heat just before serving or serving cold.
- - You can also use canned assorted vegetables instead of frozen ones.
- - You can also use remaining assorted boiled vegetables used for other dishes.
- - It's a very tasty side dish for grilled fish or meat, roast meat and boiled fish.
But you can also serve it as an appetizer or prepare for a meal, buffet style (in this last case choose smaller tomatoes).
- - If you like having light dinner they can be your choice in summer. Read in "healthy eating" my tips.
- - Do not be fooled by the low number of calories. They are the values for a tomato. In this case I'm talking of a side-dish.
If you want to turn them into a meal, you have two options.
Stay in a vegan choice and prepare a congruent number of tomatoes according to the calories planned for your lunch or dinner. Accompanying your tomatoes with a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) means to increase energy of 145 calories.
If you are not vegan, combine 3 tomatoes to a portion of lean ham (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) and a portion of bread. Complete with seasonal fruit. This is only an example for a person with an intake of 2000 calories per day that has 5 micro-meals per day, in other words lunch and dinner limited to 600 calories on average.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.8 grams.